Another HO scale house for model trains

What software did you use to design the cutting file? I’m using Inkscape and I’m not sure if it has enough accuracy in it’s dimensioning abilities to make something so accurate.

1 Like

I never had a house worth doing personally but started doing models for Architects by hand about 1985-ish and later did them virtual in 3D Max And still later in the 3d grids (though the rules are very different)

I would love to get the chance to do more architectural models again

2 Likes

Very impressive. Wasn’t sure what to expect with the title, though…
It may be a southern thing…

2 Likes

I started the design in Illustrator, and finished it in Affinity Designer. I haven’t used Inkscape, so I am not sure if it is accurate enough. To check, though, see if the object location (x,y) and width/height is accurate to 3 or 4 decimal places. I used 4 decimal places, but I would think 3 would be accurate enough. Maybe someone with Inkscape experience can pitch in here too.

1 Like

Dang, y’all, if any of you awesome mini house builders decide to do any 1:12 scale models PLEASE put them up for sale, because I haven’t found one yet to turn into a dollhouse!

2 Likes

I hadn’t even thought about the title. HO Scale is a standard train scale of 1:87. I should change the title.

1 Like

Lol, no I knew what it meant…just took a second.

Yeah what they said on wow - gorgeous

To get the full article quote it’s got to be on its own line
so:
…inspired by cynd11 little houses <return>
paste link here <return>
I decided I needed…

1 Like

But at least working for scale…

1 Like

:smiley: I guess for a project like this, it would just be a small proportion of the usual pay.

1 Like

Hey I just sold a virtual waterfall to Lizzy Borden on a grid called Kinky Haven. Perhaps a virtual copy would do well there (and the pay could be in dragon scales)

1 Like

1/12 scale is pretty big. But then you are in Texas :grin:

3 Likes

It’s traditional dollhouse scale. But yeah, it’s big. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I posted in another thread that I am loving these home posts I am seeing. We are going to be leaving our home of well over 10 years soon. It is the home our kids are going to remember the most. As I would love to learn how to do this one day, other than taking plenty of photos, what do I need to do before we leave? I do have measurements for the floorpans, guessing I need to obtain a few outside measurements? Thanks so much for any advice.

I have solid models of our last house, and our current one. We have used them for reno work and even to see how a colour of paint might look. I make sure the base dimensions are correct and keep adding details over time. Not that our homes are that interesting that I’d want to laser cut scale models of them.

2 Likes

The measurements I took were basic floor plans and window/door width & height, plus a few others, some that I didn’t think of at first, so I had to go back out to get (luckily, not far to go these days). Such as… distance from the deck to the bottoms of the window and distance between windows. The height from ground to roof peak as well as ground to lowest point of the roof meant that I didn’t need to do any math on the roof angle (just measure up from a guideline that I used as my ground level datum). A couple of photos were also useful reference — though I measured the placement of my ground floor windows, the upstairs windows are placed on the model with reference to other points on a photo. Doing a model like this to learn a vector app may take a little while but it would certainly make for a great learning project. I found that Having the GF to prototype was really great. I built one dormer, put it together to see if it would work and then kept building the design in sections.

4 Likes

Love your model! Really love your porch!!

@cynd11 yours is also awesome! You have diamond windows. That’s what our Grandson calls ours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am awed by you all that can create such amazing things using your glowforge!!!

1 Like