Another lamp from trial to full size

Ha awesome man! Upgraaaades!
Love it

That pun really hurt!

2 Likes

I had similar experiences with CFL. I switched nearly every bulb in the house at the same time a few years ago when the electric company was doing a 25%+ rate hike. A year later I was replacing them one at a time. Finally started writing on the base when I changed it. First set didn’t go 18 months. The replacements all lasted longer and most were still going as I opportunistically replace them with LEDs when they go on sale. Those are doing okay now. But I’d never pay unsubsidized retail (there’s a tax on our bills to pay for a fund to subsidize sales of LEDs by retailers) after the CFL limited life reality check :slightly_smiling_face:

For a moment I thought this might go Xena: warrior princess.

Nice shade. And yeah, it’s almost always the driver electronics, not the glowy part, that goes south. A lot of early CFLs (and then later LEDs) were designed to be used base down in entirely open fixtures, so as soon as you put them inside a closed fixture, or pointing down instead of up, or just looked at them sideways, they’d fail and the manufacturer would disclaim responsibility. (I had a bunch of dead CFLs where the casing around the electronics was toasted brown from internal heating.) But now some of the subsidized ones are almost as cheap as incandescents.

1 Like

I LOVE that, awesome work!!!