Another one stuck on "calibrating

My GF was working fine until suddenly it wasn’t. :frowning:

It’s stuck on “calibrating.”

help!

The way calibration works is that the Glowforge takes a picture with the camera on the cover, it sends it to the internet, Glowforge’s service analyzes it and sends movement commands to try and get the head under the camera. It repeats until it can see the finial (logo) in the center.

So, you can get stuck for a number of reasons:

• The wireless bandwidth is low or intermittent due to distance from the router, interference from other devices, a problem with your internet provider.
  • Similarly, if the Glowforge service or Google, their provider, are having an outage.
  • It’s taking longer than you expect because it is updating firmware (especially if you haven’t had it on in a while), you should notice it rebooting in this case (lights go off and on)
  • There is a reflection or high contrast image problem because of sun coming in the window, new lamp, new position of the Glowforge, material left on the bed, etc.

Then there are the more serious issues with your unit that are possible like broken electrical connections, loose pulleys etc. But before you go there, you’ll want to eliminate any of the things that don’t require sending it back.

What else are you seeing? Is the machine attempting to move, do the lights blink, etc.?

3 Likes

I just cleared my cache and now it’s working!
Thanks!

Martha

1 Like

There are also less serious issues :slight_smile: like, if you let your computer go to sleep while the UI window is open, it will appear to be stuck in calibrating. Refreshing the window will get it back to a communicating state.

2 Likes

Another issue… If the logo on top of the head is dirty or partially obscured the unit will not pass calibration.

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!