Another puzzle-ish box with svgs

I made another puzzle box. This time a bit smaller and different pattern on top. I also changed the design a bit since the first design had a problem with the glued on top pieces popping off. I added one longer “pin” that goes through the top layer and the layer below. I still think it might pop off since I gave it to a friend who is a second grade teacher. I told her that if the kids accidentally pop off one of the top pieces not to panic and just give it back to me and I’ll fix it up :). I’d rather have kids play with opening and closing it than have it be kept away from them.

And the box open. I really like how water color lets you blend colors when dying the wood. In all my non-glowforge woodworking I stick with very natural wood-only finishes so it’s fun to experiment with color here.

I’m including the svg. Some directions for using it:

1. I used non-proof grade 1/8 inch birch plywood and covered both sides with blue painters tape to reduce scorching. I select “use uncertified material” and set the height to 0.12 in. Cuts are all at speed 140 and full power. Engraves are all one pass, 225 lpi, 400 speed and 60 power. Note that if you change material to something other than 1/8th inch you are going to need to change the holes cut for the pins because those are cut to be just wide enough to accept a long piece cut out of 1/8inch plywood as a pin.
  2. Tap the “top” part out into it’s own file. I cut it with two different files so the colors won’t be separated correctly on their own.
  3. For the top, the black & yellow are cuts (which I did as a last separate step) and the other colors are all engraves.
  4. For the bottom, black, red and brown were all cuts and the orange was a score line to help with lining up the top pieces on the bottoms. I split up the cuts for this because this part is used to cut the bottom layer (without the red cut or score) and then 5** layers that include the red cut and at least one of those including the score. Since scores are fast I scored all of them. ( i honestly can’t remember if I made the bottom 6 layers in total or 8 … but the pins should tell the story :).
  5. To assemble I use wood glue and start by glueing all the 6 bottom layers. Before the glue dries I insert all pins except in the hole that should have a pin coming from the top piece. I put some wood glue on the edge of the pins before inserting them to help them be snug. One clamp and then wet paper towel to clean up the oozing glue before it dries. At the same time I glue the two top layers together. Once those pieces have drive I align the top pieces to overlap by 30 degrees with the bottom piece, add some glue and add a long pin to help secure it. I then put the box together before things dry so I can try to get it to be all aligned together.
  6. Once dry I sand things lightly and then add some color with water color and then once the water color is dry I spray shellac to protect it a bit.

small-circle-box-complete

37 Likes

This is very pretty! Thanks for the share. Your watercolor painting is awesome!

6 Likes

This is so cool! Thanks for taking the time for writing up the details.

5 Likes

The pins are very clever, and I also enjoy blending watercolors on wood! Shooting it with a bit of Krylon triple thick clear glaze is a great way to seal and add shine to it too.

3 Likes

Love the design! (Great colorwork too!) :grinning:

4 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the share :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that.

1 Like

Oh my goodness! What a lovely gift to the forum! Thank you so much!

It’s beautiful! Definitely need to try the watercolor on the wood.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the generous share! Looks like a fun build.