Another Reality Check

Now that’s some talent! :wink:

Sending good vibes your way.

5 Likes

Of course…my very best thoughts are with him and all of your family.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not much of a praying man either in the sense of asking for a different outcome from what will be. Praise prayers and insight prayers galor though. And prayers that people just wake up and not be so vengeful, greedy or self-centered. But I do ask for more time quite a lot. So often there is so much just left undone and we wish we had the time just to get that last thing in place. Praying that your family has the time to be together as long as possible.

Spent a couple hours in the hospital today seeing folks. Spent time with a man who has been home bound and bed bound mostly for 5 years. His sister died yesterday. They are the only two left in their family. No cousins nieces or nephews. Just public guardians. That’s where church needs to be: family when there needs to be family.

Weird thing about it is that through all this the only time I tear up is when I took my cat to the vet. He is pretty sick and had to leave him for the night.

Tomorrow is a funeral for my cousin in StL. 60 years old and lived a great life with Down Syndrome.

So thankful to be in touch too with all the a Glowfolk. You all make me pretty happy quite often.

18 Likes

Put me in your camp with one of both, @jordanloshinsky.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear it. I’ll keep him in my thoughts. My aunt, one of my favorite people in the world, had bad stage IV breast cancer. We all thought she was a goner, but somehow she survived and has been clear for years now. It’s possible. I hope your pops pulls through. It sounds like he’s got good people around him, and that makes a huge difference.

9 Likes

I will pray and hug someone. As a scientist, one may find it difficult for others to believe that I believe in prayer and have experienced miracles vastly beyond what science says should be possible. In most of the situations where I viewed miraculous healing from cancer, mending family rifts seemed to be a core essential act that needed to occur. Belief that one would overcome their cancer was a second essential, whether you ascribe that to the placebo effect or to faith. I diagnosed and treated my own lung cancer and have since helped most of my friends with terminal cancer to recover. I think these successes have less to do with any treatment I may have suggested and more to do with encouraging the essentials I have mentioned. A stranger asked to shake my hand after hearing a friend I had helped tell of his recovery. Three months later, the stranger returned to thank me for healing his terminal cancer, and I told him that I had nothing to do with it other than to instill the belief that it was possible. His belief and accompanying faith were the likely sources of his recovery. One of my signature quotes applies, “You are, in a very real sense, what you think you are.” I employ this in my work to achieve results that others consider impossible, simply by envisioning a result and sticking with that vision until the world seems to magically align to reveal how to achieve that result. Try it, I dare you.

13 Likes

That should be posted in every sacristy. When churches are lost, this would help them find their way back to where they ought to be.

6 Likes

Sorry for his misfortune, keep hope alive. I second the power of belief.

4 Likes

Any hint that the world might change due to my thoughts makes me think the universe is not real, just an illusion or a digital simulation.

2 Likes

Indeed, some have suggested that this is the case. Let’s make the best of it and create something awesome!

4 Likes

昔者庄周梦为蝴蝶,栩栩然蝴蝶也,自喻适志与,不知周也。俄然觉,则戚戚然周也。不知周之梦为蝴蝶与,蝴蝶之梦为周与?周与蝴蝶则必有分矣。此之谓物化。
昔者莊周夢為蝴蝶,栩栩然蝴蝶也,自喻適志與,不知周也。俄然覺,則戚戚然周也。不知周之夢為蝴蝶與,蝴蝶之夢為周與?週與蝴蝶則必有分矣。此之謂物化。 (traditional)

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

-Master Zhuang (wikiquotes)

11 Likes

Sounds like something Master Ip might have said in Ip Man series. Lol

“Whatever I have accepted until now as most true has come to me through my senses. But occasionally I have found that they have deceived me, and it is unwise to trust completely those who have deceived us even once.”
— René Descartes

In Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking-Glass, Alice finds the Red King asleep in the grass; Tweedledum and Tweedledee tell her that the Red King is dreaming about her, and that if he were to wake up she would “go out—bang!—just like a candle…” A similar theme is explored in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, told from the perspective of the dreamer in his own realm of dreams.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_argument

9 Likes

“Vishnu, the God, sleeps, and the activity of his mind stuff creates dreams, and we are all his dream: the world is Vishnu’s dream. And just as, in your dreams, all the images that you behold and all the people who appear are really manifestations of your own dreaming power, so are we all manifestations of Vishnu’s dreaming power. We are no more independent entities than the dream figures in our own dreams…” Joseph Campbell, Hinduism

2 Likes

“A few years ago the city council of Monza, Italy, barred pet owners from keeping goldfish in curved bowls. The measure’s sponsor explained the measure in part by saying that it is cruel to keep a fish in a bowl with curved sides because, gazing out, the fish would have a distorted view of reality. But how do we know we have the true, undistorted picture of reality?”

-Stephen Hawking/Leonard Mlodinow
More here.

5 Likes

This reminds me of the dream machine in Forbidden Planet, that could turn dreams into reality.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your kind words, and prayers. It is appreciated , thank you. I am not a word smithing, so just trust me that it means a lot.

Just got back from the hospital. He is there for now. I’m going to skip a lot of detail because , well this isn’t the place. Either way it’s terminal officially, timelines and stuff to come, but I am done posting about this.

Oh well. Time to hug the wife for a bit.

16 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m just catching up, so please accept my belated thoughts/prayers/love. I just found out my father is dying as well, with any luck I’ll have close to 8 months to say goodbye and maybe get to know him. Hope all is as well as can be on your end.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that, @hansena . I hope the time you have left with him is everything you hope for. I’ll say a prayer for you as well.

6 Likes

So sorry. I hope you both get the chance to get to know each other, and that it helps.

My biological father and I had been estranged for many years, when I started having dreams and nagging feelings that I needed to find him and make peace. When I tracked him down, I learned that he was very sick - but we ended up getting two more years to rebuild our relationship, and to just forgive each other. That meant so much.

Tough topics, and words fall short… but my heart (and prayers) goes out to you both, FWIW.

7 Likes