Another Small Project - Monstera Craze

Another little project I made a couple weeks ago that I’m pleased with.

@alycimo’s thread had everyone showing off their monsteras, real and hand-made. I thought I’d show off mine too.

The materials are olive opaque acrylic from Tap Plastics and white alabaster from Galaxy Plastics… each side cut separately and acrylic welded together.

53 Likes

That’s so lovely - The white has such great movement in it!

5 Likes

Really simple! Really Nice!

5 Likes

Very nice. I am envious of your weld skills. Shaking hands, poor eyesight and impatience usually leaves me with poorly adhered projects.

7 Likes

I agree with @dklgood the welding on that is superb!

I thought it was some special two color acrylic at first. I had zoom in and still could not see any obvious seam.

6 Likes

That looks really pretty!

2 Likes

Wow! I was seeing the white as a reflection of light and the piece was bent! :heart_eyes: Is the shading on the white depth done by depth engraving?

2 Likes

No. The “veins” in the white half are actual color swirls in the acrylic sheet. The reason they line up nicely with the flow of the leaf is half luck, half adjusting my artwork to the direction of the veining.

Here is my chip of this acrylic so you can see how it’s swirled. Super gorgeous material:

6 Likes

My weld skills are quite poor, I assure you. It had some gloobers so I sanded and buffed down the surface to a soft matte finish. I intended to polish it, but I actually like the matte texture so I left it. For me, what helps is using a weld cement with “body” to it. I used Sci-Grip medium body weld. Use sparingly, it does tend to get melty. But use enough to fill all the gaps. And don’t monkey with it til it’s dry. I had to learn that the hard way.

8 Likes

It would be cool to make both sides green and glue it set at a 10-15 degree angle :grin:

1 Like

I would love that! Still hunting for the perfect swirly green acrylic material. Most have too much blue or too much mica.

1 Like

https://www.etsy.com/listing/868462026/incudo-grass-green-pearl-acrylic-sheet?

3 Likes

So pretty! It’s very pearlescent, but that could enhance the piece nicely too.

1 Like

What a pretty piece! Very inspiring. And the ball chain is a perfect complement.

2 Likes

Very cool piece!

2 Likes

Really pretty!

2 Likes

A delightful project! Love the combination.

1 Like