Another Stratified Walnut Bowl

I have made a few of these now, and like the concept. This one is a wedding present.

They are made from a single sheet of 1/4" solid walnut. Each layer is rotated a certain number of degrees from the last, depending on the design. This creates enough of an overlap for gluing. I also score lines as guides for the overlap to make assembly easier. It turns out I can glue up the whole thing in about 20 minutes in one session, as the TightBond glue grips pretty quickly. I left the edges black with no sanding (nice accent, but also much less sanding!) and then finished everything with two coats of spray Varathane. This brings out the wood grain and seals the laser charr from coming off.

One challenge was getting a piece of walnut big enough. The biggest I found was 6-8" wide strips, so I ended up butt gluing two strips together. I made a jig (shown) to insure a tight bond and one that was level at the joint. Wax paper served to control glue overflow. The joint ends up stronger than the wood itself. A few minutes with an orbital sander makes the joint seamless.

Cutting the wood took about 17 minutes for this design, but I first prototyped it in black foam board to see if I liked the shape, and to see if it was sound structurally. You can see a few other designs here.

64 Likes

Is the “maple” in the title a typo?

4 Likes

Beautiful gift.

5 Likes

That looks really nice! The recipients are going to love it, especially knowing it was hand-made just for them. Good job! And thanks for explaining how you did it.

8 Likes

Yes, sorry. Walnut is the material. Thanks for catching that

7 Likes

Looks great

4 Likes

All those bowls are nice. Thanks for the description of how you made them. Really nice work.

6 Likes

That’s a gorgeous design and flawless execution!

7 Likes

Your finished product is gorgeous! I’ve attempted a couple of butt-joins but they’ve never gained the strength you describe. I’ll give TightBond a try!

I love this one…it makes my brain itch, but I love it!

9 Likes

These are lovely bowls. Great work! Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

It’s gorgeous!

5 Likes

Wonderful! Love them all!

4 Likes

Those are absolutely gorgeous!

3 Likes

These are beautiful!!! Perfectly aligned.

2 Likes

Beautiful results!

2 Likes

Those are really beautiful.

3 Likes

Those are spectacular.

1 Like

Beautiful, I love the solid walnut.

1 Like

Matt these are stunning! By any chance do you sell the files?
Best,
maria

I could do that. What is a fair price for personal use only?

1 Like