Another thank you to the GF team


#1

Other than an issue where I apparently didn’t get an option to name my machine–which support has graciously offered to fix–I am loving this machine.

I haven’t been able to complete many projects yet, because I spent the weekend getting better acquainted with the machine and the workflow. I spent way too much time trying to get kerf adjustment working in my Fusion 360 models. Then, I discovered a recently added feature that I had no need to use before: laser support in the F360 CAM module. With the DXF post processer, kerf compensation is incredibly easy. However, I haven’t been able to get either Illustrator or Inkscape to export SVGs with the correct sizing; so, I run my DXF files through Vectric VCarve Pro to convert to SVG before sending to the GF.

I had previously made some foamcore game inserts for some games that my 6yo son plays, so I decided to use those plans to test some 1/8 plywood inserts. (Including for some “Robot Turtles” game that he loves to play). I just used baltic birch and didn’t have masking for it, so there’s quite a bit of charring, but the cuts are perfect.

Having spent months tuning my home-built CNC machines (I built 2 more this summer), the ability to get the GF up and running in less than 30 minutes was fantastic. In fact, I have already started using the GF to make some non-structural accessories for my three CNC machines.

There are definitely features to add to the GF software that have been debated ad naseum here before, but this machine is so easy to use I can’t give enough kudos to the team.

I am traveling for the rest of the week, so I’ll be going through GF withdrawal already. As others have already said, thanks @dan, @rita, @dannyc and the rest of the GF team. Two years was a long wait, but this machine is incredible.


#2

I don’t usually get charring on my BB with the GF. Try telling it you’re using medium maple ply and use those settings. You’ll get smoke staining from the cuts without masking but you shouldn’t see charring.


#3

I sure don’t know what is going on there. I get both Inkscape and Corel to export correctly.


#4

Second!

I use 1/8"baltic birch for the bulk of my projects. Maple ply is a great starting point, and then I adjust from there.


#5

To be clear, this is only a problem trying to convert my DXF files into SVG. If I create a vector image in Illustrator and save as SVG, it comes out fine. I didn’t get a chance to try Inkscape, but I assume it is also fine. I ran out of time trying to figure out what was going on, and wanted to run some test jobs with the GF, so I went the Vectric route. I’ll have to test more this weekend.


#6

There is a lot to be said for any machine to be set up and running in 30 minutes! I think that was a big selling factor for this house.


#7

I don’t recall what settings I was using at the moment, but I assume the fact that it was slightly warped contributed to this. I did see a couple of quick small flames from under the sheet a couple of times.


#8

Third! Another thing I’ve been playing with is staining it and then applying a coat of water based poly to it before masking. I’m calling it Jamiegrade.