Another which is better design software question

:rofl: my secret Scrooge McDuck persona is revealed

5 Likes

So I’m going to give Inkscape a go for a little in my free time to see what I can learn, knowing that I have AI to fall back on on my old laptop. So quick question for those using it cough @rbtdanforth @jamesdhatch cough :rofl: do I need to change any artboard defaults or .SVG save protocols like I did in AI? I know I made my default artboard in AI be exactly 12x20 and certain details on saving an SVG had to be unclicked so it would upload without issues. I know there was a thread from long ago where @evansd2 and @Jules detailed for AI users that info, is there a thread for new inkscape users with that info?

3 Likes

I have not had any problems, however I routinely scale things to exactly what I want in the GFUI. Even when you are using precise measurements for a specific material for example the percentages will remain the same so a 3x5 inch rectangle in inkscape that has a 0.21 inch space for the wood insert I will double check when it is brought onto the GFUI and make it exactly 3x5 inches and know that the space for insert will be 0.21". By double checking at every chance there is much less chance of surprises.

1 Like

The default art board to 20x12 works in all programs, so yes, do that in Inkscape.
There is also a :glowforge: colour palette that will keep your commands in that order (true for AI as well).

The thing I find very helpful is changing the inset/outset commands to .0035", which is half my estimated kerf. That makes adjusting bits for inlay a matter of a single command.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

My advice is to make the page size exactly the cuttable area. 19.5x10.95 for performance models and 11.95x11.95 for the aura.

That way you always know that you’ll be able to fit your art into the gf bed.

Inkscape is directly compatible with the Glowforge and there should be no issues with any page size, so doing 12x20 isn’t very helpful.

2 Likes

The reason it’s helpful is that they programmed on the back end that if your page size is 20x12 then it will not resize your art no matter what other settings are in place. It bypasses DPI, and responsive, and line width, and a dozen other little things that trip people up.

3 Likes

But this was specifically about Inkscape, and Inkscape SVGs made in any version since 2018 or so are perfectly suited to the Glowforge, no scaling issues whatsoever.

2 Likes

Unless you get a file that someone designed in something else and import it in, in which case you get all sorts - unless your bed size is 12x20.

3 Likes

I prefer to make my page sizes 12x20 and 12x12 for the scaling reasons and added Illustrator guides to my GF template for the cuttable areas. Does inkscape have a non-printing guides feature?

3 Likes

They do - because every once in a while I turn it on by accident :stuck_out_tongue: It hadn’t occurred to me that I could use it for that!

2 Likes

How to account for janky files is a separate workflow issue. If you’re concerned about that then the safest process is to cut and paste the paths into a new document.

Hence the quote:

But the whole “how to fix terrible SVGs” thing is outside the scope of this discussion.

2 Likes

Besides the 12x20 page size, the setting that I find most critical is the Bounding Box. In preferences, set the Bounding box to Geometric bounding box - I believe it defaults to Visual.

When set to Visual the size of any object (boxes, lines, circles) include the thickness of the line. Geometric will ignore the line thickness. That way if you create a box that is 1" square but use a 2 point line, Visual will give you a box that is 0.97" (a 2 point line is 2/72" and the laser used the center of the line so moves the line inward 1 point on each side or 2 points overall - think of it like “computer kerf”). Geometric will show & produce a box using the center of the line so a 1" square will be a true 1".

6 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Yes, the 12 x 20 thing is optional and (Arguably, apparently) pointless but the visual versus geometric bounty box is absolutely critical If you’re doing anything with any precision,

I would also say that in preferences changing your dpi for export and bitmap copy is also critical.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.