Another while we wait thread

Antenna?

1 Like

Ball link piers.

4 Likes

I’ve got one for ya.
Its a little bigger than the previous tools.

8 Likes

Ancient medieval torture device.

8 Likes

Chinese tile cutter!

1 Like

Homemade metal tamping/hammering tool.

Flywheel pulls the leaf springs up, pulling the hammer up and then pushes the leaf springs down, pushing the hammer down and softening the impact on the entire frame.

Is it used with forging swords (the Oriental symbols)?

5 Likes

Here is one of my favorite jeweler’s tools since it is so nicely made.

6 Likes

Is it used for setting stones?

3 Likes

Sizing mandrel?

5 Likes

Ring Stretcher?

5 Likes

Ding DING DING.

Its a power hammer. Of the home made variety.
Commonly used in blacksmithing. The leaf springs allow for different size stock to be hammered without jamming the machine.

7 Likes

Smoke sifter…

1 Like

It’s a Sharpie !! Used for permanent marking !!!

11 Likes

@tom gets it (although @Jules may have meant the same thing?).
You drop the ring over it and tap the tapered shaft into the split part to stretch a ring.

3 Likes

I was a jeweler in a past life, :blush:

6 Likes

I also like the idea of ring stretching… but im not sure how you would get the inner mandrel out if you pounded it on with a ring on the outside… and between the two pictures it doesnt look like the outer tube expanded much…

So i vote that its a… mandrel for a small jeweler lathe.

edit: i need to refresh this page more often…

3 Likes

Chuckle! Yeah, I’ve got one, but it’s not nearly that nice. (Harbor Freight I think.)

My sister collects poison rings, and I got one for her once that was a bit too small. Used one of those to enlarge it.

We have a winner!

3 Likes

Those were reasonable reservations, but…
With the shallow taper it requires a surprisingly small amount of hammer force to stretch a silver or gold ring. The inner mandrel is also a bit longer then the outer one so you can pop it out by tapping the small end.

3 Likes

Had to look that one up and ran across a list of modern-day uses for poison rings. Now I want one that holds a spare hearing-aid battery! :sunglasses:

Trivia question of the day – What 1960s superhero used a “poison ring” on a regular basis?

1 Like