Antique iPad stand in 1/8" Baltic birch

The stand isn’t an antique… the iPad is. It’s really old, maybe even first generation… the kind with the awkward humped back. I didn’t match the curvature of the back perfectly, but it’s close 'nuff.

Here’s the Amazon box test cut plus the final version in .127" Baltic birch from Woodpeckers. I did not bother to mask the wood, and finishing was only light sanding. It’s functional, but not too pretty.

The design was done in Illustrator because I haven’t learned Fusion yet. I suppose this is just what it is made for!

To make press-fit tabs and slots in .127" BB, I figured out these settings.

Cutting 1/8" Baltic Birch
Speed 190, Power FULL (Pro)

Kerf Compensation
Design your tab with no adjustments. Make the slot -.013" in each dimension. In other words, if you have a .250" wide tab and your BB is .127" thick, the matching slot would be 0.237" x 0.114". This will produce a press-fit that is tight enough not to require glue, at least for light duty objects.

The file is available in Free Laser Designs.

22 Likes

Nice! Like the shape! :grinning:

1 Like

Good job! And Amazon packing cardboard is the best!

1 Like

Nice. And I will try and steal those kerf numbers. (I use various inkscape extensions and haven’t yet figured out the best way to do kerf.)

1 Like

Every time I try something new it takes a while to figure out kerf issues. It’s the least fun part of the process, and I am sure I’m not doing things in the most efficient way.

2 Likes

I make a lot of use of the tools that specify sizes for things, and now I’m wondering whether I should go back to the setting that does size as outside-of-stroke-width rather than centerline of path. Then (in theory) I I could have a kerf-related stroke width and the centerline aka laser path would end up in the right place automagically. But every time I think that a voice in my head bellows “Danger Will Robinson!”

1 Like