Any Adafruit experienced users?

I’m looking to see if anyone has experience with Adafruit components, as I need some guidance. I’m looking to use a keyfob to trigger a servo, basically. In my new truck, my power wheelchair locks itself to the lifting tray when going in and out of the vehicle. Problem is, when leaving the vehicle, I have to press a button behind me to release the chair, and it’s very difficult for me to reach. I’m thinking I can use a wireless solution to trigger a servo the will push the button. I’ve programmed arduino projects in the past, so can probably figure this out. Just thought I’d ask for help here before doing anything, and yes, Id use the Glowforge to cut custom pieces for this!

Here is what I found:

2 Likes

What sort of button is it?

I ask because Servos typically don’t have a lot of power.

What’s that all in one button bot called again?

The button is flat. I would probably get a high torque servo, and use a servobox.

1 Like

https://microbot.is/push/

or

2 Likes

I like using the ESP32 arduinios.

or

2 Likes

Those would work, but ideally looking for a keyfob solution, as these may require using a smartphone app. I’ll research a bit more. I already have a keyfob to operate the lift, and having another on the same keychain would be more accessible.

Is there any way you could wire in an additional mechanical switch in a more accessible location? Have you spoken to the lift designers? They might have encountered this problem and have a suggestion.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the lift designers are not the same folks who do the locking mechanism. There really isn’t a more accessible location, and they should have a remote solution out of the box. I can post pics later.

No need, I looked at the video again.

So it’s on that pillar/post that the ramp rides on?

Yes, over my back left shoulder. I can reach, but its awkward.

I initially thought something like a flex-arm attached to the post, could be shaped to not interfere with door trim, but accessible from the chair.

my thought is that if you can get access to the wires coming out of that switch, you could wire another switch in // so that either one would close the circuit. you could put that new switch anywhere you like. no adafruit or rf action needed.

if you want a wireless remote, then the servo might not be necessary, you could use most of what you started with from adafruit but use the arduino to close a relay that is wired in // to the switch. Adafruit has a bunch of those in their product line. End result would be similar to above but wireless and much more complicated to get the wireless to work. The arduino would still need power though (as would the servo if you went that route).

1 Like

Really no where else to put it within reach. I have to back into the lift as well. I thought using something non-intrusive would work. Power could be wired, or even a battery pack to test maybe.

i have gotten a few radio linked projects to work. Not this exact hardware but similar. Not easy. I would recommend checking out some of the other solutions listed above first. I am pondering alternatives as well.

1 Like

Oh, wow, that’s just attached on with double-sided tape.

You could just make an arm that projects forward, on your left side, then relocate that panel.

Heck, you could make the whole thing on the Glowforge!

1 Like

That might be tricky with out blocking the door, as its a tight fit once the chair is in.

Can the arm or bracket be higher, like just behind your shoulder, but still within reach when the ramp is at ground level? The door shouldn’t be a factor.

Maybe. Not sure if there is enough slack to re-position the existing button, but I can check. Maybe on a flexible goose-neck mount used in photography. Seems like that might get in the way of the door closing mechanisms and seat belt, but worth looking at.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve “done” electronics since the mid 70’s. I have a joint EE & CS degree, and I’ve designed and built countless gadgets using both skills. Technology is cool.

… but if a mechanical solution using the existing switch (or another wired in parallel, which also looks trivial) is possible, I’d go that way, rather than introducing unnecessary complexity and chance of failure - especially for something fairly critical like this.

1 Like

Partly why using a servo over the existing button would be my first choice. The button would remain intact, and still could be used manually. I don’t feel comfortable messing with the wiring.