Any experts in depth mapping? MeshLab question

I’m trying to generate a depth map from an STL using MeshLab (as described elsewhere in this forum), and for some reason MeshLab is generating the depth map using the edge of my STL. Which is white, because it’s perfectly flat, being as it is the edge of the file.

I want to change the origin point of the depth map so that I can get a map of the “face” of the file rather than the edge, but thus far MeshLab has defeated me. It’ll render lovingly detailed single-depth maps of the edges of my file (any edge) but never the face. Where all the geometry resides.

I’m not exactly sure I understand what you mean by “edge”. But STLs are 3D files. It’s not like a 2D image where there is only one way to view it (from the front). Typically, you need to specify the axis down which the view should be projected when generating a 2D output from a 3D source file. “Top down” vs. “Front” or “Side” views. If you’re getting just an edge, it’s likely because that’s what the STL looks like from the “viewing angle” MeshLab is using. You need to figure out how to tell ML to use a different projection.

I have MeshLab but haven’t used it in a long time so I can’t give you specific suggestions. Sorry.

1 Like

…in my case, MeshLab seems to insist on pointing at the two-triangle edge of the model (it’s a large thin rectangular prism), rather than the vast flat area where the topographic data can be seen.

Imagine always having to look at a sheet of cardboard from the edges, never the large flat surfaces front & back where things are actually printed. It’s deeply weird.

I think your information is there you just have to rotate the model. I have not investigated it that much as I am mostly looking at Blender for most 3d work, which BTW will do that job nicely.

1 Like

Send me the file. I have MeshMixer. I’ll see if I can help you figure out a workflow for this file, that will also work for the next time so you won’t need to ask for help… I also have a ton of 3D software so I can look at the source STL to verify how it’s “arranged”. I’ll have some time this weekend to look at it if you want.

1 Like