Any tips

I keep getting an error message with “printer head not found”. I’ve tried cleaning it and nothing has helped! Any suggestions?

Shut your machine off, first. When that’s happened to mine, I gently move the printer head forward and center it so that the GF logo in it is directly under the lid camera. Turn the machine back on.

3 Likes

I tried that and still nothing

I’ve recently had some issues with that as well. Be sure all 5 lens’ are clean. Then i tried putting a piece of paper for the camera to focus on after i turned it off and went back to the home position. It seems like when i did this it would finally be okay. Took a couple of tries both times but worked. Good luck!

1 Like

I forgot to add…remove any material on the crumb tray before doing what I suggested.

I also tried that as well

My GF only has 1 lens. Where are the others?

I know about the 2 windows (1 over the left side mirror and 1 in front of the head mirror), the head mirror and the head lens and the two little windows on the bottom of the head for the laser positioning. Interested in knowing where the other lenses are so I can make sure they’re clean too.

2 Likes

When the issue is “printer head not found” the lens that is key is the camera lens in the head. The top of the printhead has the :glowforge: on top and the camera uses that to set the machine up.
If the top is dirty, or the camera lens is dirty and fogged, or somewhere along the way from machine to camera there is a bad connection then the print head will not be found. Sometimes it is the dreaded black cable, but it could be the cable out to the camera if you have cleaned too vigorously. Only Support can tell for sure.

1 Like

I’m aware of that. I just keep seeing all of these posts about the “5 lenses” and I don’t know where they all are. I suspect there’s an issue with people misconstruing the mirrors & windows as “lenses” but just in case there are some hiding somewhere I figured I’d ask the latest authoritative source where they were.

2 Likes

Precisely.

It’s all documented, if people would only take the time to read.

I got the “joke” but the camera is one of the 5 and all but the mirror are “light pass-through” even if they do not concentrate the light as the camera and the main lens does.

As a group name “lenses” works as well as anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, they don’t.

a piece of glass or other transparent substance with curved sides for concentrating or dispersing light rays, used singly (as in a magnifying glass) or with other lenses (as in a telescope).

2 Likes

Sure, like calling a laser cutter/engraver a printer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Being imprecise with terms leads to longer troubleshooting efforts.

1 Like

Yes but in this case folk will know what you are talking about, just as covid is not strictly correct but folk have not bothered to write “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2” every time they want to refer to it.

1 Like

Maybe but that only works as long as your inference is the same as my implication. We’ve seen how that works here a hundred times. “Oh, you meant that…”.

1 Like

Welcome to the English Language :grimacing: Like putting a stick on a cardboard photo of a football, and voila a football fan!

1 Like

This recently happened to me. I got out the Zeiss lens wipes and cleaned the camera on the lid. It was really dirty and since I am tall and don’t open the lid all the way to keep that cable happy, i never noticed it getting dirtier and dirtier. presto. head found, cutting ensued.

3 Likes

I never call my Glowforge a "printer, when describing it to someone. It is a laser CUTTER/ENGRAVER.
A LaserPRINTER is this:
printer

I’ve cut and engraved hundreds of things with my Glowforge, but I have never printed anything with it.

3 Likes

Sorry @jamesdhatch , you are right…they are not all lenses. I’m no authority at all, just trying to provide a little help. If I’m confusing people, I may need to not provide any ‘hints/advice’.

2 Likes

No worries. I’ve got an original one so thought there might be a possibility there was an update that the new machines had more lenses. I try not to be definitive myself if I haven’t experienced it directly or been able to verify something. I’m not certain that my machine is representative of what new machines look & act like.

Help comes from all sorts though so no need to stop.

1 Like