Any update on gpl licensed firmware?

As many were besieged by a charter outage this morning,

https://istheservicedown.com/problems/charter-communications/map ,

I was just wondering if there was any update on getting this to work without the internet.
I had 4 hours to kill before everyone woke up but was foiled.

hj

1 Like

It was released a couple of years ago now…they put it on Github for people to play with.

2 Likes

Have watched this for several years. My opinion only… Almost no chance of getting the GF to work without their cloud based services. The person/group that was working toward a solution shut down the effort 2 days ago. He was no longer interested and there was no one else interested or capable in the effort required. Even if someone was successful it would be a far cry from the capabilities of the existing unit.

1 Like

They met their legal obligation by posting what they did, but it’s next to useless and there is virtually no chance of getting a machine operating without the cloud service, especially as most machines have no means of creating a physical connection (all unnecessary parts like the USB connector were dropped early on.)

If Scott couldn’t do it in all these years, nobody else will.

3 Likes

Ultimately it’s still a laser tube, mirrors, gantry and control board. Absolutely worst case scenario, it gets gutted and fitted with a new tube and control board and gets used like any other XYZ cnc machine.

3 Likes