Anyone got their Pro in UK/Europe?

Can I just ask how much people paid and when. Thinking about it, maybe this might have had something to do with it. I purchased the Pro on 21 November 2015. The total cost was 5649USD which included the air filter and cost of shipping for both the Pro and air filter. Unfortunately there’s no breakdown on my purchase history other than the full prices then the pre-order discounts as a whole so I don’t know what percentage of discount was split between the Pro and and the filter before applying the shipping costs. Does this makes any sense?

That explains it. I paid $4949 total as was in the 30 day campaign. So your declared value is $700 more. So (700 / 1.39) = (£503.60 * 1.045) * 1.20 = £631.51 - £503.60 = £127.91
And of course the brokerage fee goes up by £3.18 due to the higher value!

3 Likes

Thanks. At least that explains things. So I’m assuming that everyone who has received theirs first has paid the lower customs fees due to the 30-day campaign price being a lower value and the amount I’ve been charged is more than likely the norm (or thereabouts) for anyone else, going forward.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m from the UK and ordered in Jan 16. Paid the £40 or so for the PG materials. My Pro unit is arriving on Tuesday and import fees are £820 (inc. £20 for UPS).

I think by the time the filter arrives in a few months import duty would have wounded me in tune of £1000. Mad stuff - hopefully GF as a product cracks out to be everything I hope it is.

3 Likes

Well my GF Pro has been delivered, got the UPS guy to mark box as damaged due to one handle missing and 2 deep digs in the box. The commercial invoice was soaking wet as well but on opening the box all looks good so far, I can still see fluid in the tube and there is no signs of the insides being wet. I presume that when the air filter finally ships it will be marked as a $500 commercial value as the GF was $3345 ($3823 total).
I can’t help but notice that several others are due today but that their order dates were upto 3 months after mine. So either GF has rapidly ramped production or they didn’t sell many in that time.

1 Like

I don’t think they sold many after the price went up, compared to the 30 day campaign.

Hope it’s all as it should be, (im)patiently waiting for mine to roll up…

It’s out of the box now on a nice flat surface. Thing is I have been working with IT/Gadgets for over 30 years but never have I had such a lack of info. No software stick, no setup sheet, no remove this/that before turning on. Just had a quick look at the site but no guides/software are obvious.
What am I missing? I know I’m a man and shouldn’t need manuals but…

Just got mine but its still in the box. You can find the setup manual at https://glowforge.com/manual

2 Likes

There should have been a big colorful card surrounding the button with the instructions (Sometimes I guess they fall off in shipping.):

3 Likes

Hey, I’m a man so I only read the first bit :wink:
Reading the manual now, thanks @neville.akerman

5 Likes

Chuckle! I do understand…hubs would flip the card over his shoulder to get it out of the way. :smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear you got your laser!

It’s honestly a doddle to set up. Good luck!

Well, the instructions need changing, they tell you to change wifi to early!
Anyway, got it connected but it will not calibrate. Have removed all the packing bits, head moves left/right smoothly but forward / backward is a bit stiffer and makes a sound like a thin vibrating metal plate but the belt and stepper motors turn ok.
When it says calibrating, the button briefly lights white, the GF makes clicking noises for a few seconds, then interface says offline!

I think I saw that a couple of times last year, certainly not recently.

How strong is the WiFi signal by the unit according to your phone or a tablet or other mobile device? And are you running anything with a big motor in it nearby like a washing machine?

Just checked my Asus router, it lists as Texas Instruments on 2.4Ghz with maximum signal, data rate 144Mbps.
Not running anything else, laptop/phone have no issues in the same area. The status does change to calibrating for about 20 seconds before going to offline. But I get no head movement at all on either axis, just some brief clicking for a few seconds.

I think, I wasn’t able to definitively prove it, the glowforge is a little more sensitive to a weak signal than most mass market consumer electronics. That is why I asked about the strength of the signal showing on your phone. However, I doubt signal strength is your issue. Never hurts to make sure the computer is “plugged in” before moving on to more advanced troubleshooting though.

Other than moving the laser head to the center of the bed (with the glowforge turned OFF) and turning it on again, have you either emailed support or made a new post in Problems and Support? I know support can be slow at times, and the forum faster, but support doesn’t monitor Everything Else frequently, just new topics in Problems and Support (where forum members are just as likely to answer.)

If the button flashes white it is receiving instructions from the cloud. The clicking is the head lens calibration. I don’t know why the motors aren’t moving unless it is failing to upload the camera image for some reason.

1 Like

Thanks for all your advice. Just noticed a firmware update for my Router so applied that, mainly security fixes. It restarted, then turned on GF again as was intending to reset wifi. But it started doing a bit more, has now moved head etc and finally its calibrating :grin:

1 Like

It may have been that the GF was also downloading its own firmware update which might take some time.

1 Like