Anyone tried to cut/engrave Ambrosia Maple?

This stuff looks beautiful, but I fear that it would be really tough to cut with different densities all through it. Anyone done it? Thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve not noticed much difference in cutting with spalted wood of any kind. It shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

Cool. Well I ordered it the other day. I’ll post settings and whatnot as experiments occur.

3 Likes

I don’t know from firsthand experience using any of this in a laser, but as @marmak3261 noted, it shouldn’t make much of a difference. Most of the spalted woods Which is kind of like this one…the discoloration comes from the ambrosia beetle which actually causes the discoloration. There will be tiny holes here and there (the ones I’ve seen are about 1/8" or less in diameter) that might effect how this cuts, but the overall density is usually similar throughout.

1 Like

So, I got my order. It’s a maple, and as such cuts nicely, but it’s not trivial. It’s shot through with all sorts of different densities of wood, I think they are probably the hearts of branches (knots, but cut lengthwise, so they are long instead of round) if that makes sense. I found that it would cut fine except for certain darker streaks that required a lot more power. Not sure how I’ll end up lasering it reliably, but it’s gorgeous.

It’s also a bit thicker than expected, coming in at about .160 instead of the more typical .130 from green valley.

2 Likes

Are you pretty happy with the Green Valley stuff?

Very. Interestingly, both varieties of maple that I’ve received came in thicker than the other tropicals, as I mentioned in a previous comment.

All of it has been very nicely finished and warp-free. It’s a very good deal compared to other sources I’ve found.

1 Like