I recently received my GlowForge and I am very happy with it. But…
I hope Glowforge @staff reads this and give some feedback on the time frames to fix this important issues in the GF WebApp.
Your WebApp needs very serious and focused work if you want a killer product. Right now it is a very frustrating laser cutting experience. The app does not feel stable at all. In its current state is not very efficient to use and cumbersome to work with. If you don’t want to allow me to upload my own G-Code and skip the app altogether (like inventible allow with Easel) or open source the API , then the app is in URGENT need of a very dedicated, serious and prioritized overhaul… Like for yesterday.
Here are my frustrations in order of priority:
- Fix UI/App bugs/glitches! There are several important ones!
- Example: Designs do not rendering correctly. Sometimes after a fresh upload of new design file, or if I copy one selection (of one or many designs), the copy appears like a black silhouette without internal detail. Even when closing and re-opening the design the copy still remains black. Sometimes part of the cloned design gets rendered when changing lasing parameters or upon re-opening the design, but mostly will not. When this happens the app does not create a step for that design/object or does it partially. This happens when copying one, two or many designs. [See attached image].
- Long time loading of medium to large designs. Needs attention on how you manage large design files and vector rendering. The performance on the app with even small designs is miserable. My guess is that the whole rendering engine and memory management philosophy needs a complete remake. But what do I know, It just feels that way.
- Select object(s) by clicking (or shift clicking) on the corresponding step(s) in the left menu and vice versa (Select the step when selecting the object on the canvas).
- Cycle select objects using TAB KEY or similar.
- Alignment Tools: (Center, Middle, Top, Bottom)
- Group/Ungroup: Group multiple items into one for easier manipulation and selection.
- Snap to Grid for visual alignment.
- Numeric placement, resizing and rotating.
MODERATELY URGENT FEATURES:
- Ability to save custom material settings and share them among users.
- Ability to save custom lasing presets for a given material [Light engrave, Heavy Engrave, etc].
- On the home menu where the design’s list appear. We need the ability to copy/clone an existing design.
- Ability to start a design with a clean canvas. Not only by uploading or trace.
LESS URGENT FEATURES:
- Arrangement Tools: To distribute/layout in alignment multiple copies of an object for example.
- Allow me to work with a white backed canvas to place objects before previewing with actual material picture.
NICE TO HAVE FEATURES:
- Manual Vent/Fan Activation: Sometimes the default air cleaning time is not enough and you want to vent for more time. We should be able to do it.
- Telegram/Email notifications when job ends or a problems arise.
- Pause button in the app.
- Pause the JOB if I press the big button in the Glowforge.
- Create Text Objects in the app. (I know it is not a design app, but for something quick, this will be a time saver… Again. NICE TO HAVE but not a priority!)
- A Native iOS App for iPad.
- Options for lighting behaviors (like LED timeouts to dark after an X amount of time has elapsed without the machine being used).
I know it’s long and I have many more suggestions. If it was open source software I would be all over the place contributing… But since it is commercial, it is imperative that you resolve this (at least the urgent ones) to really get a useful machine. In my view the software right now is the bottleneck of the machine capabilities.
Thanks and congratulations on an amazing machine. I am happy!
Specs for testing device used for report:
- MacOS - HighSierra. Issues appear on both Safari and Chrome.
- MacBook Pro (2017)
- 80 Mbps tested internet connection speed.
Attachment image to show the first issue: