Apple Airtag

I’m not an apple user, so i kinda ignored the latest big update out of cupertino… saw an article on ars technica about how apple will offer engraving on the back side. does anyone know what the dumb things are made of, and if they’d be laser safe?

From what I can find it’s stainless steel. Perhaps dry moly lube will work if you want to engrave.

both sides are stainless? hm. might have to look into it. thanks!

Stainless on one side (which already has an Apple logo and some text), unknown white plastic on the other. From the look of it, probably the same plastic as the likes of AirPods and their charging case, on which the factory “engraving” looks more like a screen print of some sort.

1 Like

And Apple has taken to filtering certain emoji combinations. Ie- no horse then poo or other rude gestures. Seems like a niche market for us to look into. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:horse::poop:

3 Likes

that’s what i was thinking!

:joy:

I just engraved one of mine. The white side is definitely metal with a coating of some kind. (The laser sparks on it!)
Likely, it’s painted.

I used SD graphics setting on acrylic. It was a bit too much. I could hardly clean off the soot.

I think that if you turn it down from that setting it would work fine, and/or use masking.

Note that the laser leaves a very black engraving on the white surface with a lot of hard to remove soot.

I have two more that I plan on engraving. I’ll use lower settings and some masking on the next one.

BTW: The airtag still works just fine. I did not disassemble it for engraving.

3 Likes

Did you ever engrave the others? What were the results?

1 Like