Architectural model software

I did quick search, but first pass didn’t look promising, so I thought I’d ask.
Is there any popular (affordable) architectural/home design software that can export files that can be easily translated to GF files for cutting/engraving? End goal would be to design in the software and then use the GF to create a physical model. I know this can certainly be done in sketch-up or autocad, but I’m thinking of one of the packages that folks use to design their homes and have all sorts of architectural library options.

1 Like

Maybe this could work:

Kyub software

4 Likes

Interesting software. I had not heard of it before, but it seems that it would be very useful in designing laser patterns for many items and concepts.

I think however, that I’m looking for software that is specifically designed for architectural design. This type of software has built-in functions for doors, windows, etc. I’m imagining and looking for software that I can use to design a building in 3d, and then have the various elements (such as walls, roofs) exportable to use in a laser. Then, put them back together in an architectural model. There might not be such an animal, or it may be too expensive for my use. Just hoping.

1 Like

I’ve sent my d-i-l the question. She is a commercial architect (& we were in fact talking about laser cutter models over Christmas). I’ll let you know what she comes back with.

3 Likes

This won’t be much use because I have no recollection of what it was called, but back in the mid-90’s I had a software package that allowed you to create a 3D home design then print all the necessary templates to replicate it using wood or, what I used, foamboard and other craft materials.

We planned to build a house and I did all the design, built a model, took it and the exported plans to architects, etc. - all very professional looking.

I have to believe stuff like that is still out there. I probably picked it up at CompUSA or an office supply store. This was before Amazon and such. Probably something like “home designer 3D” or something! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I used a package called Chief Architect’s Home Designer Architectural to do the same for our new house. But the model is virtual, including the ability to create virtual walkthroughs. I can export an STL so I can 3D print it (as well as DXF, DAE, etc formats as well) but I don’t think I can get flat cut files from it.

My d-i-l is in CA so I haven’t heard back with the answers to my queries but I expect she knows of something since it’s what she does for a living.

1 Like

Pretty sure what I had exported in PDF for printing the templates, but I’m sure other formats as well. It’s been almost 30 years. I cut the foamboard and craft foam by hand.

It had the “walkthru” stuff as well, my ex and I sat there “roaming” our proposed home and I’d make adjustments. Would have been a wonderful place, but circumstances.

1 Like

Was it from Punch Software? I did have their program and I now remember it had a printout process. It was finicky as hell, but I’ll look to see if they are still in business.

1 Like

I have no clue. Like I said, almost 30 years ago.

It wasn’t “finicky” though. Very slick and easy to use.

1 Like

Yes, the time passes.
I did a quick look and it was Punch. They have a feature called “Realmodel” that prints out the house in 1/8 scale (I think). I guess I may try to dig out my copy and see if there is an upgrade (ha!) or just give in and buy a new version.

2 Likes

According to my d-i-l, Revit, Sketchup and Autocad are typically used. They all have defined architectural components.

Revit calls them family/families & has a standard library included with additional families available for download. Sketchup warehouse has free models as well as additional paid models. Autocad calls them blocks and there are a huge number of libraries available. Standard components like faucets, lighting and furniture often have models/families/libraries created by the manufacturers and available for as downloads or resources.

2 Likes

Have you used this yet? Do you have and invitation code?

1 Like

I’ve used an old version of Home Designer Suite to generate 2D plans.

1 Like

I signed up but never received an invitation code. :frowning_face:
I guess my explanation of why I wanted to try it out didn´t cut it.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten any response either.

Ha! Found a backup on a NAS device, it was called “Home Design 3D” - but it wasn’t the same as the current app you can download by that name - although technology has probably advanced in almost 30 years. :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.