Are there more delays?

I ordered my GF two years ago and have waited patiently for the units and I recently upgraded to a PRO unit to have the greater abilities shown here in the forum. SO when I upgraded my date of shipping went from March to Dec 11 and on Dec 9 the date moved to the 13th. Now on the 13th my date has once again moved to the 19th. This is getting tiresome and ridiculous. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A UPDATE? @dan

Those shipping dates are just estimates. I got the email about mine shipping well before my estimated date, and the date never reflected the actual email date. In fact, I think I remember it just disappeared altogether.

Those dates are as accurate as they can be, and are based on a lot of different factors that all affect manufacturing and shipping. They started doing estimated dates to give people a better idea of when to expect the email, in response to requests here. But, as they stated when they announced the shipping date estimates, they are subject to change - both forward and backward as you’ve experienced.

There was an update @dan released the other day that might be if interest to you if you haven’t read it yet.

4 Likes

to be fair, that’s exactly what they ARE doing. they’re giving you regular updates. it’s shifting as factory speeds, supply chain issues, etc., all change. so your date will move as it’s updated.

4 Likes

Thanks Erin

Just frustrated and needed to vent. Rarely comment here but was hoping for a pre Christmas delivery.

1 Like

Totally understand.

Its really frustrating - I’m currently trying to deal with UPS to get them to give me mine, and the repeatedy pushed back date is really frustrating.

as it gets closer to my date it keeps sliding out in the wrong way. Also hearing about the non US customer getting a bigger push out again.

Yeah wanting it before Christmas I understand. A lot of us measure the delays in number of Christmases missed.

Hopefully you already know, but in case you don’t, I have more bad news: the estimate date is just for when you will get sent an email that tells you the current state of affairs and asks whether you want to wait or get it now. Saying you want it now kicks off a process that takes up to six weeks before there is a Glowforge in your hands. More if UPS breaks it. (Some have gotten them quicker, but lately it looks like it’s been closer to six weeks.)

3 Likes

"…the estimate date is just for when you will get sent an email that tells you the current state of affairs and asks whether you want to wait or get it now. Saying you want it now kicks off a process that takes up to six weeks before there is a Glowforge in your hands. "

Ouch. Patience may be virtuous but this wait has put a dent in mine. As most who are waiting, I had no idea it would take this long when I placed the order. I was ready to purchase an existing product 2 years ago but was sold on this concept. Jealous of those who have theirs. Excited to see results but aching that has taken this long.

well, lately there were some supply issues that pushed GF to produce more basics and less pros. so some pro orders were more in the 6 week range, but a lot of basics (including mine) were closer to 1 week. and that’s why it’s all “estimates.”

6 Likes

Yes, but I’m just generally in the camp of “expect six weeks not one” because that leads to unexpected delight rather than unexpected frustration.

4 Likes

agreed. expect six. most people have experienced less on average, but 6 isn’t unheard of.

So to give you an idea of where I am, I ordered Oct 30th 2015. I have had a ship date of Nov 30th, then Dec 20th, then Dec 11th, then Dec 18th. And now it is Dec 25th(I am sure this will change). So it is happening to a lot of us. Greatest part for me is I am active duty military and if I do get a notice around that date I will be gone for 2 months. So my wife will have to deal with whatever happens in shipping(UPS is rough here on a good day and dropped my CNC machine like a rock when the delivered it). So we will see how things go. I am not pleased but I am not willing to cancel and have a full grasp of “this is out of my control” because I am unwilling to cancel.

Our timeline:

We backed the Kickstarter on October 21st, 2015.

We finally got the email confirm our order and address on Dec 4th, 2017.

We received an email on Dec 15th stating it was on its way.

We received it Dec 20th (yesterday!).

We pulled everything out of the box and set it all up. There was an errant screw that we still haven’t found where it goes (assuming it wasn’t an extra from the assembly process?). But otherwise we followed the setup instructions. There was a couple moments of minor confusion, but overall things went as stated by the instructions.

We have printed 2 items provided by Glowforge (Ruler and Draftboard) as well as a custom design by the wife (had the Glowforge take a picture of a hand drawing, then she was able to convert it and place it over the Proofgrade Medium Wood pretty quick). Everything went perfect. There was a lot of excitement over everything, especially how smooth it all went.

I really hope things keep going as smoothly.

7 Likes

I’d post a picture of the errant screw. Someone here will recognize where it belongs.

1 Like

I think that’s going to be my next band’s name.

5 Likes