Arizona Monsoon Season

Fun times in Arizona!

18 Likes

Yeah, okay…I thought that was a really big fountain at first. :smile:

6 Likes

When I was in Tucson, I’d hike up to the top of Mt. Lemon and watch the rain and flash floods. A little while later everything was dry as a bone.

4 Likes

Oh lordy…what a sight!

4 Likes

Meanwhile, on my side of town: not a drop. Just lots of blowing dust.

5 Likes

Hehe… That’s “afternoon” in GA. I got close to an inch in 2 hours on Tuesday evening. Power was only out for two hours, though…

5 Likes

I hope Hanna is not treating you badly, It is supposed to come ashore south of you. :fish:

3 Likes

That looks like July in Arizona. We used to say that the start of the monsoon was when it washed out the 4th of July fireworks.
Am keeping my thoughts for our Hawaiian folks that are due for some serious splash kicking from Douglas the next few days.

I hope all are ready and staying safe, :grimacing:

3 Likes

Definitely keeping an eye on her…hubs is flying in from Georgia this afternoon.

2 Likes

That must be what caused the freaky red/pink tint to the light during the storm. Looked like mood lighting in a bordello.

5 Likes

Is it wrong to say that we on the East Coast just call that “rain?” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here in Vegas we also get Monsoons day starts out nice then 5-12 inches all at once, flash flood, then a few hours later bone dry again. It’s like weather is nuttier than squirrel poo.

2 Likes

Do you get half an inch in half an hour?

1 Like

Yeah. That’s a heavy rain and we get them regularly. That’s why our ecosystem looks different than yours.

3 Likes

I remember when I first moved to Arizona (Lake Havasu) from St Louis, and the locals would say “Oh you just wait til you see your first monsoon.”

Pffffff… 3 inches total rainfall per year in this part of the desert. St Louis gets that much from a single thunderstorm. We don’t have any storm drains here though so everybody’s landscaping ends up in the street and the rain can undermine driveways and home slabs.

6 Likes

If you are new to an area and they have these wide and deep cement trenches around town, that is a large clue that when it does rain, you will want to hang onto your rubber ducky.

6 Likes

Record around here is a little over 7 inches in a day.

A friend of mine recently moved from Imperial Valley (So.CA desert) where she had lived all her 60+ years, to NV near Tahoe. Can’t stop talking about the weather! They even had to (gasp) buy a lawn tractor!

It’s what you’re used to.

Here’s what a creek I would take the dogs swimming in while out walking looked like during a little rain event a while back.

The deck of that bridge is usually about 12’ above where we would wade thru the water. (This is the replacement bridge installed a couple of years later.)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.