Arm sticking during start up procedures

Hello, I have the Glowforge Plus. I have had for just over a year and I love it.

However the laser arm is remaining in the middle of the bed when i first turn it on. It seems like the print head does not go all the way over to the right during it’s start up test. It sound like the motor that moves the print head is sticking.

When this first happened, I was not to concerned because I turned off the machine moved the laser arm gently back to its starting potion. I then moved the print head to the right stop position and then back to the left stop position. Then when I turned it back on, it would run through it’s startup procedures correctly.

This would happen every once in awhile. Now every time I turn on the glowforge this happens. The noises are getting louder too.

What to I need to trouble shoot this problem and fix it before my wonderful GLowforge stops working.

Thanks

Nina

The head does not go to the right side of the machine during the “centering” operation. It moves under the lid camera, then to the left side, then back to home.

If it is not returning to home after centering, you likely have a cable issue, but you should also see the fact that it is stalled on “Centering” in the UI. There is a page in the support troubleshooting guide specifically dealing with this.

I had this problem once & it was caused by the lights in my shop. I turned it off, turned off the lights & restarted it, and it has worked since. Its worth a try.

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble with your Glowforge. I see that you already emailed us about this, and I’ve sent you a response with next steps there, so I’m going to close this thread.