Around the World

A friend and I were planning an “Around the World in 18 Days” (not 80) and then COVID hit so no traveling. Instead, I went around the world with my Glowforge. Goal was to get iconic real estate around the world. All the buildings and sites are real, except one just to be a little whimsical. Four foot circle - I really wanted to do the buildings to scale but then there would have been too many buildings way to small (like the Statue of Liberty, etc.) Smaller unstained sites fill in some of the gaps between the larger buildings. Eiffel Tower really came out great.

92 Likes

I love this! Are you making it into a clock or leaving as is?

7 Likes

I don’t have the vocabulary to express how much I like this. I would love to see it in person.

13 Likes

Beautiful! (And love the colors!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Great work! Love the circle idea. Colors are great, too!

8 Likes

This is beautiful and I love the addition of the Up house!

8 Likes

This is really beautiful!!

4 Likes

LOL.
First thought I had as well.
Add a backer panel with a clock.

Looks awesome as wall art, don’t mind us.

5 Likes

That is gorgeous!

4 Likes

This is incredible! I know you posted the size, but it would be fun to see it with something (or someone) in the shot for scale.

4 Likes

This is amazing!

3 Likes

This is just so well done! Just gorgeous.

3 Likes

This is very nice! I love the colors.

Some of you on here may recall @polarbrainfreeze making a very large citiscape in this style…

15 Likes

Beautiful paint job. An awesome piece!

3 Likes

Thanks for the comment! What I would like to do on my next piece like this (if I ever get around to it), is have gears on a track hidden behind the frame to rotate the piece (not a clock but it would add some movement and if i could get the gear ratios down correctly sort of act like a clock with one of the buildings providing an approximate time based on its location). But then I need to learn about gear and cog sizing and find some kind of quiet discreet motor to run it. I would also back-light it as well.

4 Likes

Funniest thing is when people see it in person and I tell them all the buildings are real except for one, more often than not they cannot easily pick out the Up house. Either they cannot find it or they choose one one of the needle towers, the Taipei 101, or the Burj Al Arab hotel.

6 Likes

Is that the Neu Schwanstein castle? This is way cool!

probably hadn’t been to the grocery so no banana available :wink:

1 Like

Please do share photos of this and anything else you make. Your imagination and your talent are amazing!

2 Likes

Very well done. Love it!