Art Nouveau Dollhouse progress

Love all the detailed work. This has to be very rewarding.

Keep Creating and please keep sharing.

3 Likes

Following the history, it was the rise of the machines that did it in. Cheaper to hire less skilled folk, and machines could do repetitive designs with strait lines and angles. In the meantime putting a generation of skilled artists and sculptors out of work not to be replaced in such an industry.

4 Likes

Yes - it was a terrible shame to see that move away from handcrafted skills but then again it did give rise to art deco and arts and crafts movement which were also very beautiful.
Mass produced everything however has led to the throw away culture we live in - replace not restore and nothing is built to last anymore

4 Likes

I really, really like those chairs!!

2 Likes

Wow

2 Likes

While it can be very beautiful I have not seen again the level of hand skills that peaked with Art Nouveau. The bright side is that now we have computers and robots that are capable of such complex details with engineering math that would take hundreds of years to do by hand. Likewise things like Glowforge allows us to create really complex work that even with the hand skills would take hundreds of times the time to do with hand tools.

5 Likes

TLTR and Art Nouveau certainly were responses to the same forces at work in modern industry and both looked back to an ideal time and added a fancy twist. And I think that is why they are so inspiring to folks. For me it is jungendstil in Vienna. Just can eat that up.

5 Likes

Some delightful pieces!

2 Likes

How to you print on fabric without it getting caught in the printer?

2 Likes

fantastic! love!

1 Like

You can buy plain fabric that is already mounted to a backing sheet in stand 8x10 - they go through my inkjet just like a regular piece of paper then you peel the backing off
I got it on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015AOPDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 Likes

I am so happy you answered! I have been wanting to make my own miniature patterns! You are a genius :). Thank you!

2 Likes

Hmmm, it does lend itself to designing for the Glowforge! I would love to be able to make a nice depth map for some of the more 3D stuff!

5 Likes

I am missing you. Call me and we have a great talk and a few laughs.

I have over 40 hardback books dedicated just to dollhouse miniatures. Several of the books feature period pieces and were published in the late 60s and early 70s. Black and white pages no colored pages to show the finished pieces— this is the reason I have never been inspired to make anything.

You now have inspired me to look at one of those books and find something spectacular and make it a miniature.

Your miniatures are truly outstanding.

5 Likes

OMG, you upholstered the chairs! I love it, the pattern is so appropriate.

2 Likes

You’ll end up with a nice little house full of furniture.

2 Likes

my pleasure :slight_smile:

Love it

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.