Auto Focus and Focus not matching up

So I have been struggling with my square outline matching up as they have been off about 1/16 of an inch on the far Right side of the glowforg.

I am cutting 0.5 foam and mostly use Auto Focus but sometime is just wont Auto Focus and it has to use the Forced Focus and that seems to be a disaster on multi cuts.

I have replaced the belts, the Mirriors , checked tension on the belts, I did find a small particle of foam on the belt , and I thought that was the fix but it was not.

I am at a loss , the only work around now is to get everything cut in 3 Passes so I dont have to rely on the Auto Focus working.

Why it works sometimes an not others is confusing for me.
Sometime it says its to thick and other times it gives me the Ok

What can I do to change that to make it easier for the Glow forge,
How far do i want the laser away from the Material for Optimum cutting on Precision.

Thank you

1 Like

Why not use calipers and enter the material thickness? Since you state that your material is 1/2" you are right at the focus boundary. If you remove the crumb tray and elevate the material to within the focus range you may have better luck. There is no optimum point - especially for a non proofgrade material such as foam.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for the ongoing trouble when running prints on this material. So that I can check the logs and investigate this further, would you be able to let me know the most recent approximate date and time you were using 0.5in foam? I’ll then be able to locate the Autofocus and Set Focus attempts from around that time and take a closer look.

The GF sometimes has problems seeing the red laser used for focus distance measurement on some materials. Black material or blue painters tape give me problems all the time getting good measurements. I now add a small square of tan masking tape on the area that I set focus on these types of materials.

1 Like

That is a great idea, I am cutting black and Dark Blue so i will try that. Thank you

1 Like

It’s great to see that you’ve received a tip from one of our other community members. Please let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.