Autoglyphs

Interesting.

@rbtdanforth why do I get the feeling that this will appeal to you?

11 Likes

Interesting in a distant observer sort of way. The grids have based themselves on invented monies, and from the start I was very put off by it. I am reminded of the New Testament money changers and taken a similar opinion. Dealing with the moneychanger aspect only due to lack of choice as it was an outlet to sell artwork and design but as I saw Kitely had US cash as a common funding as it sold across dozens of grids and each had their own money system, So now that location was where I sold most of that sort of stuff that was my designs.

Ownership of designs is fairly well supported but not proof against any hack. However, at least in the case of unique designs, the theft, and marketing of other folks’ work is not a huge problem.

That Open Sea protection reminds me of a friend that the family suffered a home invasion, and so the parents bought a big mean watchdog. At the end from tearing up the furniture. biting every person in reach, and a whole list of other disasters, the dog caused far more damage than the home invaders ever did. Whenever I hear folk going on about the effort for absolute security I am reminded of that family.

1 Like

Well, that escalated quickly.

4 Likes

I 'm sorry, I was not attacking you, and I do appreciate your finding and posting it. I have never gotten my head around blockchain and only vaguely understand the connection to bitcoin etc. But like the friend’s dog, it looked like an immense hassle to protect a one-cent sale even if the volume was huge. I think if it was introduced on the grids it could crash the grid for a lack of participants as the protection is handled by the grid software, and pretty much invisible to users.

1 Like

Heh I didn’t feel attacked at all. I only meant that your (valid) reaction was unexpected.

2 Likes

I first got into Second Life 1997ish before the crash and a lot of folk made a lot of money from it in those days, but everything (except the money paid to the company for location rent etc) was in $Lindens that were worth .03 cents or thereabout each, so a $5US item looked like a ridiculously high price and you had to pay an extra 15% to buy them 15% to sell in the store and another 20% to turn them back to $US (I don’t remember the exact ratios). Positive cash flow was still possible and just became part of the situation.

In Kitely I still pay a percentage of what sells, but that is it, with none of the moneychanger fees.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.