Autosave, faster startup and more: 1/8/18 Latest Improvements

No version number. Usually they put out the release notes as the changes are imminent, but have said in the past that it may take 24 hours (I believe) for everyone to see the updates.

Edit: a post made recently by Support

1 Like

Cool (well, not that I have to wait, but that you responded :wink: ), thanks

I watched my machine carefully to see what would happen with this update. I turned it on, it calibrated as usual, and I ran a cut. I presumed at this point, it was downloading the update in the background, and based on what we’ve been told in the past, it wouldn’t be applied until the next power cycle. So I turned it off and on, and it started to calibrate, but when the head went to the center, the lights flickered and it went briefly offline, then came back and starting calibrating again. I guess now I’m running the new version. A third power cycle, and the startup seems much the same as usual, except the initial diagonal move from the corner was more accurate: it moved right under the camera on the first shot. It still did a correction move after that, but it was tiny.

8 Likes

That is very good to know. Thanks for passing that along :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’ve got that fancy RGB LED. My vote is: Solid Green means FW update is happening. Flashing Green means a FW update has happened, press to acknowledge.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I remember back in college when we were watching Star Trek reruns and 6 Million Dollar Man episodes, we called this guy the $500,000 man.

2 Likes

First of call, Cpt. Pike is a galactic hero. Don’t mess with him. :wink:
And, second, his flashing light alone is worth another $500,000, right?

3 Likes

During a spaceport scene in an episode of Buck Rogers in the 21st Century I heard a paging announcement in the background, “Captain Christopher Pike to a white courtesy telephone, please. Christopher Pike to a white courtesy telephone.”

3 Likes

I remember it! That was one of the best episodes. I remember it was the two-parter where Buck was on that desert planet with the sand-worm things chasing after his 20th-century love with Jamie Lee Curtis. I remember there was an android in that one that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. And I watched the series a couple years ago and it’s weird how seeing that android again actually brought up some scared feelings in my full-grown adult self. :slight_smile:

If it’s not obvious, I remember the dumbest things. Yet I don’t know my kids’ phone numbers.

3 Likes

I discovered an issue with Autosave when using official GF catalog designs -

I was cutting out a leather wallet from the pattern I purchased through the catalog. I wanted to make it two-tone, so I deleted some of the pockets, added a logo, and cut.

Then I went to change to the other leather and cut out the pockets, and the file doesn’t have those parts anymore.

I have no way to upload this catalog design. I can’t delete the “oops” one. Clicking “open my design” from the catalog just opens the broken version.

Help?

For Catalog designs only, you can click on the three dots and reset the file to the original.

2 Likes

Sweeeeet! Thanks!

(here’s when you laugh and say, “She doesn’t know how to use the three dots” - hehe)

6 Likes

For those looking for a button or such there is none. Not a visually exciting update. Go to home, work on some other projects, then go back to your original project. It will be as you left it. Not exciting but so very useful.

2 Likes

A classsic! :smile:

(But just in case someone else doesn’t know how to use the three dots…)

5 Likes

Paragraph 2 (of 3) from the announcement:

Should you make a change by mistake, you can use undo any time until you leave or refresh the page. If you want a clean start, you can always go to your dashboard and click the upload button to upload the file again. If you got the design from the catalog, then you can start fresh if you click on the three-dot icon and click “Reset Design” to remove all changes.

Also note that you’ll need to re-upload your own files if you want to revert.

If you haven’t left the bed view, then Ctrl-Z (Windows) or the left pointing arrow on the top bar will reverse changes one at a time.

2 Likes

How do you reset a design that is not in the Glowforge catalog? I am wanting to reset the Multi-Shaped Keychain Design, but can’t figure out how.

Not sure what you mean by the Mult-Shaped Keychain Design. Is that the Gift of Good Measure? If so, I can’t find a way to reset it.

For Catalog designs you can reset by selecting the rectangle with three dots on the layout page and then hitting reset. For your own designs you have to re-upload the design from your device.

If no one else comes up with an answer I would ask the question in Problems and Support.

1 Like