Baby, it's cold outside!

Durn. Was out with the kids, the rain had stopped, next errand was getting the tree, then horizontal stinging pellets of hail. Maybe tomorrow.

4 Likes

yesterday evening at about 5:30 is was 82 degrees here in south Texas, by the time we went to bed it was in the lower 40’s, before morning we had a hard freeze. Gotta’ love Texas, if you don’t like the weather, just wait a minute, it will change :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

left Paducah, KY at 11AM Saturday and 75 degrees. Got to Springfield, MO at 4:30 and 22 degrees with ice. Heading to Felton, CA to do XMAS with grandkids. Santa will deliver my GF in March 2017…hopefully.

3 Likes

Yeah, but you guys get those Chinooks that sweep down along the Rockies and jump the temperature from -40°F to +40°F in a few hours. It didn’t take me long to figure out why all the motels had electrical outlets for each parking space.

4 Likes

Yep, and the strongest chinooks can take the temps up to mid-sixties, and it can happen in less than an hour sometimes too. They aren’t all good though; some people (including my wife and daughter) get headaches before and during them, and that whole sweeping down from the rockies thing can result in some stiff breezes - ok, gales - that make it a bit less enjoyable than the temps would otherwise allow.

Edit: for those folks saying what the heck is a Chinook, that’s an indigenous word that loosely translates as “snow eater”. Caused by warm moist Pacific air getting forced up and over multiple mountain ranges, getting progressively dryer and warmer as a result.

6 Likes

Also, as the air mass descends from altitude there is a compression factor that contributes heat.

2 Likes

…which it turns out is ~3x as effective as the cooling it experienced on the way up the other side. That cooling wrings out most of the moisture too.

2 Likes

Saw -21 F on the way to work this A.M. though I backed the car out of a heated garage and got out in parking ramp so hardly noticed it.
@buschtrent, where on the Mississippi? I assume not to far from me.

3 Likes

Quad cities, IA

2 Likes

32 Fahrenheit is 0 Celsius. They converge at roughly -40.
I’ve been at -20 Celsius, and that was cold enough for me.

We’re currently pretty nippy at the high teens F. I’m grateful that I’m in neither Ottawa nor Iowa.

6 Likes

I know, right? However, this window faces S- S/W, so in the summer it can get hotter n’ hades in there. I do have a portable AC, which should help. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hubby is in Fairbanks right now and it was 11* there today but only 1* in Idaho (where I am). Generally much colder there than here. Crazy weather!

1 Like

Felton, CA? As in “right next to Santa Cruz” Felton? Small world. I have a good friend who lives in Felton (and not too many people do).

Safe travels!

1 Like

At least you guys that get cold weather on the norm don’t have water lines buried right below ground level like here in Texas. 23 tonight and faucets running!

3 Likes

Hit -31 degrees F the other day here in Idaho. Did my best to not leave the house that day!

4 Likes

I have noticed somewhere around -20F the moisture in your nose freezes on the inhale. When nose hair becomes ice cicles and the seat foam in the car is as stiff as tire rubber I feel the same instinctual drive of self preservation that causes geese to fly south.

4 Likes

Oh, man, that just gave me a flashback to northern Maine around 1990 at -25F. I walked outside and inhaled but it felt like my lungs constricted and I got almost no air in. When I recovered from that, I walked over to my car and could barely get my key to turn in the lock. I sat down on the seat but the foam didn’t give even a fraction of an inch. I put the key in the ignition and turned. I have never heard an engine turn that slow. I was stunned when it actually started.

2 Likes

Hehe, yeah. The engine oil viscosity approaches that of peanut butter, and the dog immediately pees right on the deck outside the door. :grimacing:
Remember those Samsonite luggage commercials where they throw one out of an airplane and it bounces? At those temps it would shatter like glass.

3 Likes

Mustaches freeze at 10F :slight_smile:

I went to college in upper state NY and learned to tell temperature by which body parts would freeze and which ones would stop working (I can’t inhale at -25F).

5 Likes

I come from the Northwest…Chinook has always been a native American tribe from around the Columbia river and there is a type of salmon named for them as well…“snow eater”? I’ve never heard that one. :slight_smile: - Rich

3 Likes