BAD Day!

I was aligning a print on an item in the print bed using the camera to size all the elements just right. No where near ready to print. When, I don’t know if it was something I clicked or what have you the armature SHOT across the chamber collided with the materials and all hell broke loose!

The GlowForge is not even a month old. I’ve been doing relatively fine except for some finickiness of the lid camera and getting some images to align right. Fisheye lens really wasn’t the best design.

Heh, even caught video of the event.

2 Likes

maybe you clicked on “set focus”?

4 Likes

Yeah, looks like your material was more than 1/2" tall, so the air assist hit it while the head was attempting to center / focus.

5 Likes

That hurts to watch! Is there a place to report Glowforge abuse? lol…

6 Likes

It kind of looks like the gantry was already off the rails at the beginning of the video, like maybe it wasn’t the first time it had run into the plate. Unless the video image is just super warped, or something…

5 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That didn’t look straight.

2 Likes

It’s the camera. I also thought that, so I projected lines and counted the dots… it was straight. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sometimes all I can say is “WOW” when you you notice things the rest of us miss.

3 Likes

I was hoping you’d do it so I wouldn’t feel compelled to. Thank you. :wink:

4 Likes

Thing is, the blasted thing wasn’t even supposed to move. Wasn’t planning on printing. Just resizing text and aligning stuff using the live image from the cam. Must have clicked something or who knows what then all of a sudden like a shot the armature shoots off with a bang and crash. I’ve never seen it move that fast!

The only way that could have (possibly) happened is if you had just turned it on with the lid open and it was trying to run the startup calibration and the plate got in the way. Otherwise that shouldn’t have moved on it’s own. Had you just turned on the machine?

1 Like

Here’s what I was doing at the time:

At 31:44 you pressed “set focus”. That is what caused the head to crash into the plate (which was too tall).

7 Likes

Damn, NOT what I meant to do. I think I was going for Refresh Bed Image. Damn it.

Seems like the air assist would have hit your plate anyway…no matter how it happened.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble while laying out designs in the Glowforge App. Thank you for sharing detailed information and videos. I see that you’ve already emailed us about this, so I’ve sent you information and next steps there regarding getting replacement parts to you. I’m going to close this thread, and we’ll continue to assist you via email.

2 Likes