Badge Inlay for Custom Guitar

This is a 1/1 scale San Diego district attorneys office investigator badge that is inlayed into the headstock of a guitar. I used proofgrade cherry ply.
I usually hand cut my inlays, the Glowforge has upped my game tremendously. I love being able to create inlays this detailed and knowing that I always have the file do I can print out another.

IG: @Oak_Creek_Guitars

50 Likes

Incredible!

2 Likes

wow, how did you do that! awesome!

3 Likes

OUT-EFFING-STANDING!

wow

3 Likes

Amazing! How is that finished? An epoxy? How did you get that inlay so tight?

3 Likes

Thanks Matt! Because time was a factor the finish is a two part resin, like bar top. The inlay is super snug because I’ve been doing inlay for many years. I cut out the badge with the Glowforge then scribed around it with an Exacto knife, leaving a nice line where I should rouser up to. It’s a tried and true method that consistently delivers great results. Try it with some scrap, I think you’ll be surprised how well it works.

5 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing!

2 Likes

Again: WOW!

2 Likes

Absolutely top notch! The owner of that guitar really has something special. Thanks for sharing your process!

3 Likes

That is exquisite. It is humbling to see a project like this come together so well. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The Glowforge was obviously a good addition to your shop. Your skill and artistry put it to good use. Beautiful guitar.

3 Likes

Great custom work :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. The Glowforge HAS been a fantastic addition. It has allowed me to step up my game for sure. It’s also fun to be able to churn out cute little gifts right at home.

3 Likes

Amazing detail!!!

2 Likes

They will be proud to own this one! Gorgeous work!

1 Like

That is beautiful, great job!

1 Like

that’s beautiful… wow. thanks so much for sharing these pics… you’ve inspired me to up my game.

Out of curiosity, where are you located? Being in the Nashville area there are a few guitars around. :sunglasses: perhaps could point a few folks in your direction.

@whitetigertooth Thank you so much. My shop is in San Diego, CA but I do business world wide. I specialize in one of a kind themed instruments, repairs, custom inlay and restorations. I take on things others pass on because I’m passionate about guitars. I’m a one man shop and any business you can point my way is always appreciated.

Josh

2 Likes

Cool. I have a good friend I immediately thought of when I saw your post but I like to touch base before I blindside anyone. Have a fabulous Christmas and I’ll toot your horn! ~Mickey