Badges for work

What does everyone recommend? Do I need to engrave or score, when I make name badges for a specific order for someone’s work. I could use white acrylic or wood? They want a magnetic back.

4 Likes

I’d recommend making a few samples. Score can appear wimpy on one material vs another; settings will affect the appearance as well. Will there be any bending stresses? Acrylic can be heavy. Choices, choices…

Consider time, too. If you get a great score, save the time over engrave unless there’s a good reason not to. Or, use clear acrylic and engrave on the back, then paint as desired and the letters will pop!

The rabbit hole awaits…

13 Likes

I can use clear acrylic. I will be painting different colors. I won’t be bending, just a flat name badge.

6 Likes

I’d consider a two-color product like Two-ply Name Tags/Badge Cut Outs (10 Pack)

10 Likes

A sheet of 1/16" 2-color acrylic, plus magnetic or stick-on pin fasteners.

7 Likes

I might not trust “plastic”, though. Those look like the same name tags they had where I worked 20 years ago, that were engraved with a machine like this: https://www.gravotech.us/products/engraving-stations-cnc-stations/im3. There was no reason for those to be laser safe.

8 Likes

That’s a good point Chris. I have a bunch that was given to me and gave one the copper wire test with no green in the flame, but I just highlighted a link that showed the same stuff and none of these specify two-color acrylic, or what kind of plastic.

4 Likes

Well I went ahead and made a sample for the customer. I am pleased with it. I just hope they are. I ended up engraving, using the white acrylic. I will used the magnetic magnets on back.

4 Likes

I’m sitting here laughing because I didn’t really eat breakfast today and I thought it said “Bagels for work.” :laughing:
Time to go eat I guess.

5 Likes

Looks good. A suggestion, slightly rounding the edges would be good in my opinion. Ever so slightly.

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Might have to try that.

1 Like

Yes, I think you need to eat something, :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.