Ball Bowl

no problem. (ignoring the laser killing ones) haha i enjoyed the experiment. Im stoked for rev 2

3 Likes

Is there maybe a Kerf setting somewhere in 123D which is messing things up?

2 Likes

Donā€™t think so, (it would have been applied evenly across the notches), but Iā€™ll take a look at it later.

I canā€™t remember on this one which conversion method I used - it might have been one of the more labor intensive ones that caused some errors to be introduced. Iā€™m going to re-try with straight EPS export and see if it changes things.

1 Like

If I remember correctly I used 123D to make my tiered rocket candy holder and I put in the material thickness. I thought it had a place for kerf too, but cant confirmā€¦I do know that the pieces fit tightly.

1 Like

Yes to both.

I just went back and re-ran the original, with zero parameter ā€œextrasā€ like kerf and offset, and the program still makes the slots just a hair too narrow - at least on curved surfaces. I plan to go in and check the straight slots as well to see if it happens there on another file.

Itā€™s just a question of getting to know what the software does, and then compensating for it.

This software might be compensating for nominal widths automatically as well - 1/8" plywood is rarely actually 1/8" thick in real life. (Although I do have some here that is.)

This is what it looks like - the red boxes are 0.125 " in height exactly, and the black are the generated slots from AD123:

2 Likes

Most accurate way is to use a caliper and take actual measurement of your material.
The black notches are about what you would want for kerf compensationā€¦although different materials can have different kerfā€¦

3 Likes

Okay, so Iā€™m probably trying to make this too hard? (Chuckle!)

(Sometimes itā€™s hard to take the engineer out of the designer.) :smirk:

4 Likes

Lol its often hard to fully understand it without having the results in front of you :wink:
And even then, I still screw upā€¦lol

3 Likes

Okayā€¦Just to update everyone on the performance issues with 123Dā€¦

Iā€™m leaning towards a ā€œslightā€ rounding error introduced with the slots on this file - maybe because this particular file has a lot of radials it has to work around.

The slots in the other file I posted for the Grid Box are dead on the money at 0.22 inch. (Thatā€™s a more linear file.)

I greatly appreciate the help and pointers from the experts (steph, nick, jacob ) to help me tighten this downā€¦you guys are making it a LOT easier!

:smiley:

Updated the Files at the top.

I have thrown a little fudge factor into the files and reworked to get the actual ending slot sizes closer to 3 mm and 6 mm, so these should be roughly usable for 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch materials.

(Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to get them closer without the actual materials in hand.)

5 Likes

Look familiar? Donā€™t recall how i found your ball trying to make a rocket prop for my sonā€™s AMI drama lesson, but here is the result of the second try!

The first go well, is there a badge for SET MY FIRST FIRE? Lol Lesson: donā€™t get flustered Friday evening making sure all the pandemic school lessons got done while trying to achieve beyond a kindergarten levelā€¦ and overlook that this is the first time youā€™re cutting 2 level corrugated cardboard and turn the power all the way up when it doesnā€™t cut through and use that for a second passā€¦

8 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s adorable as a little rocket! Very clever modification! :smile:

3 Likes

I could see making a tiny one of these with a marble or something inside to hang from a necklace. A ā€œball bowl bauble," if you will ā€¦

(Thanks, Iā€™ll show myself out now ā€¦)

5 Likes

This is so awesome!

I cut this out of draftboard and no matter what I do, I cannot get it assembled. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong. Has anyone else made this and been able to assemble it with material that is inflexible like draftboard?

Ooh, talk about an oldie but goodie!

Is your issue with things not fitting, or with where things go?

If itā€™s not fitting, it may be that your draftboard is thicker than this was designed for - though it should be close.
If itā€™s where things go I canā€™t help beyond whatā€™s listed in the pics, but Iā€™m betting @Jules can :smiley:

Let us know and we can try to advise further.

After about 15 minutes of working with the pieces, I was able to figure it out. It was much harder to assemble than I expected but now that itā€™s together, itā€™s pretty solid and not coming apart any time soon!

2 Likes