Ballad of Serenity

My 13-year old Browncoat daughter stained the wood and designed the engrave. She also used the calipers for the first time. Me? I did a few quick calculations and pushed a few buttons. This is all her.

52 Likes

She inherited her artistic talent from you I see! (Looks great!) :grinning:

2 Likes

Tell her we love it!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s gorram gorgeous! :wink:

7 Likes

So fun to have a glowforge to enhance her creativity.

2 Likes

Came out real nice.

2 Likes

If sheā€™s a Browncoat youā€™ve raised raised her right :slight_smile:

Shiny!

7 Likes

So to those who are in the knowā€¦

We had a lengthy conversation about the lyrics. And, honestly, we went with what you see but weā€™re just not sure. We found competing lyrics on several sites. What say you?

ā€œThereā€™s no place I can beā€¦ā€ vs ā€œHave no place I can beā€¦ā€
Now, Iā€™ll tell yaā€¦ We listened to it over and over yesterday because the original lyrics we found said ā€œHave no placeā€ and we weā€™re like ā€œUmmā€¦ Noā€¦ Itā€™s 'Thereā€™s no place.ā€ And then we listened and went ā€œHuhā€¦ Is it ā€˜Have no place?ā€™ I mean, that would certainly fit the speech pattern of the show and it makes a little more sense actually.ā€ But, as you see, we went with what we all originally thought it to be.

And the last lineā€¦ We found three different versions of the lyricsā€¦
ā€œYou canā€™t take the sky from me.ā€ vs ā€œBut you canā€™t take the sky from me.ā€ vs ā€œAnd you canā€™t take the sky from me.ā€
Again, we listened over and over and ended up with just ā€œYou canā€™t take the sky from me.ā€

Thoughts?

5 Likes

That sounds right, there are at least 3 versions that I recall.

She chose well picking the version that pleased her.

2 Likes

True enough. And thatā€™s exactly what I saidā€¦ ā€œAre you happy with these lyrics?ā€ ā€œYes.ā€ Then 48 minutes later we had a real nice engrave. Sheā€™s thinking sheā€™s going to hang it in her locker at school. Iā€™m thinking I might just go ahead and make one for the rest of us to look at out of some :proofgrade: cherry.

6 Likes

Great job & great inspiration!

You canā€™t take the sky from meā€¦

You should also look up & listen to, a great version, adapted from Josh Wheatonā€™s original for the series is ā€œMalā€™s Songā€ by Vixy & Tony on their first album ā€œThirteenā€ (and at the time they recorded it, I was dating Tony, and was one of the folks that made up the chorus, since any time done live everyone sings along). Also on this album is ā€œApprenticeā€, a mesmerizing song about Inara. (And all this helped inspire much of my leather work & the path that Iā€™m now blazing for myselfā€¦)

2 Likes

Browncoats, unite!

3 Likes

I know Malā€™s Song from ā€œEscape Key.ā€ Seems to be the same tune. Says itā€™s written by Michelle Dockrey though. I must say I think I prefer the Vixy & Tony version now that I hear it. I find the instrumentation to be perfect and also a bit reminiscent of The Eaglesā€™ Journey Of The Sorcerer (used as the HHGTTG TV theme). Anyway, weā€™d listened to the Escape Key version a few times to try and figure out the ā€œThereā€™s no placeā€ line, but that lineā€™s not in the song at all for some reason! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Michelle is Vixyā€“Escape Key was she & her husband Matthew before she & Tony started performing together & got more serious & got other musicians involvedā€¦ Tony had a small home studio and spent a long time on the tracks. Iā€™m not sure why she never used that lineā€“maybe just didnā€™t want to be too much like Joshā€™s version, or just didnā€™t fit her versionā€¦

Tony learned well from his instructor & mentor, Jeff Bonhoff, who does not only original work, but has an amazing parody album ā€œGrated Hitsā€. Among many great tracks, there is a note perfect version of ā€œBohemiam Rhapsodyā€ as ā€œMidichlorian Rhapsodyā€. And a few other Star Wars, Star Trek & other inspirations that are all really good.

2 Likes

Nice work. Cool the kido wanted to use the GF too.

1 Like

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

2 Likes

So fun to involve your daughter!