Basswood finish inconsistency?

I’ve ordered a LOT of proofgrade basswood plywood over the past few months and it’s all been fantastic…until recently a few of the pieces look VERY glossy. As if they’ve got some sort of clear coat on them or something.

Anyone experienced that?

I talked to support and they said…

We are continually making adjustments and improvements to our Proofgrade, so finish and other minor details may vary, and it looks like that’s what happened here.

But the difference here is like buying a can of paint that says “matte” on it, but then turns out it’s actually “glossy”.

I’ve now got 15 sheets of this “glossy” stuff that doesn’t match any of the other basswood I have. :confused:

1 Like

You could buy some matte spray finish and make them matte :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Joking aside, I get complete color differences in my walnut wood orders. I have some that are a deep brown, and others that look like a burnt cherry color. I don’t order much basswood, but mine is somewhere between the two that you have.

1 Like

i’ve had that problem before. even inside of a batch of 40 sheets of cherry plywood.

1 Like

That sucks. Maybe you can take the shine off with a light abrasive pass, like a Magic Eraser?

Thanks for writing in. I see that you’ve emailed us about this and we are handling it there, so I’m going to close this thread.