Bead and blank sources

Jules made some awesome playing card tiles out of bamboo beads. I found a few suppliers for very similar beads in case anyone was interested. (I didn’t want to clutter up her post with links…)
https://community.glowforge.com/t/royal-flush/6329?u=kittski

LOTS of good blanks here. Wood beads about half-way down the page.
http://www.theenchantedgallery.com/beads.html

and here
https://www.etsy.com/listing/76265390/mini-small-bamboo-rectangle-domino-tiles?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-craft_supplies_and_tools-jewelry_and_beading_supplies-beads&utm_custom1=12cff15e-3df2-4b22-b0df-1bfcb6fe7f6f&gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0wkiEH6QskuQn70ynUSusSUGo9Llf96VDNuiDtugw8xoCtErw_wcB

38 Likes

yessss… shinies

4 Likes

Oh dadgummit! There goes my bonus! :smirk:

8 Likes

Seriously, sometimes the internet should come with a search warning. Time to step away when you find yourself at alibaba contemplating ordering 100 bamboo cutting boards. I mean seriously, I could easily go through 100 boards once the GF arrives, right?

As my husband would tell me, put down the mouse and step away! lol

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=bamboo+cutting+boards+&viewtype=G

12 Likes

Personally, I’m wary of ordering anything from Alibaba… but the rest of your logic seems sound! :wink:

3 Likes

haha. Today I was searching for a very, very specific type of latex surgical tubing (that everyone sells 18" long snippets of, nobody sells spools which I need) and so I searched on alibaba. BE VERY CAREFUL GOING TO MANY PAGES DEEP WHEN SEARCHING FOR “LATEX TUBES” WHILE IN THE OFFICE!!!

16 Likes

Oooo, nice find! Thanks for doing the legwork!

1 Like

Ordered some…it will be funny if there is now a run on mini-small bamboo rectangle domino tile beads.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never been brave enough to try alibaba, but I have known a few people who buy from there without issue. I know it’s really not avoidable, but I try not to support Chinese imports if I can buy elsewhere. If I was ever going to test the alibaba waters, sustainable bamboo boards would certainly tempt me though. Perhaps some brave GF soul wants to organize a group buy of 1000s boards perhaps?? :smirk:

HAHAHA! Methinks a search for latex anything would be risky in the office, but adding the word “tubes” was certainly living dangerously. Sometimes my ignorance gets the best of me and I search some innocuous set of words and then freak out when I see the results. (Whatever you do, don’t search the terms "deer and “love” together and click that images button on Google, trust me, just don’t, really, just no lol…) :flushed: :see_no_evil::fearful:

2 Likes

Oh cool Rebecca, let me know how good they are. I want to order some too. Did you do the Etsy link or the other one?

1 Like

Oooh… now I want to play with alcohol inks, ahhh! haha. Lots of fun ideas here…

Hi @kittski, I purchased the tiles from Etsy.

1 Like

You piqued my curiosity LOL!! So I tried it, and 12 pages in, I got bored and gave up looking for what you may have been referring to. The worst I saw, was photos of ladies using exercise bands, and maybe your office is more conservative than mine, or I am just desensitized from living in a popular Spring Break and summer holiday destination, but I didnt see anything too risqué. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uh, trust me it was not just some women using exercise bands. Hardly conservative here, since there is a giant vagina and uterus up right now on the white board (doing a really cool deep-learning/machine-vision project with my OB-GYN colleagues) in the conference room, but while these women were using latex, and many comment on the cardiovascular benefits of certain activities, I don’t think the purpose was exercise per se… :scream:

7 Likes

yeah i’ve often been amazed at how quickly a benign search can elicit such results on aliexpress, too. like, that’s a nice sweater, there’s a cool tech item, oh look, twelve pages of dildos.

6 Likes

OK, was 12 pages in not far enough, or did I just bugger the search? LOL. Wait, nevermind, time to reel in the curiosity here… LOL.

1 Like

I buy them from HD or Amazon whenever they drop below $10/pkg of 3. They’re perfect for all sorts of gifts. And with the laser I can find out we’re going to someone’s house at 3 and be out the door with a (semi-)custom gift by 5 :slight_smile: Probably have 30 of them in the garage right now.

4 Likes