Beefy Cupholders

A step up from ordinary coasters (perhaps not in looks), these were designed to use in our RV, which has no cup holders on the dinette table. If anyone happens to sit there while we’re moving, it’s tough to keep anything from sliding around.

They’re really ‘beefy’. I used thick acrylic to help prevent breakage, even though they will break if dropped. I wonder how I could know that……?
A cork surface inside to help keep sliding at a minimum. And, on the bottom, velcro (with corresponding circle on the table) and rubber feet.

Then, I decided that we could use at least a couple of these right here in the house. Jim has more problems than many with knocking drinks over, so I attached one of these with velcro on a bamboo tray that sits on a table next to where he sits in the living room and I’m going to do another one on his computer desk.

Since glasses and cups are all different sizes, I made an adapter to work
with the sizes we use most at our house. Jim cannot hold on to regular cups and needs to use a ‘stein’ style with a handle.

A black one with a fluorescent green adapter that actually looks pretty classy….

69 Likes

I like that black and green one! :+1:

11 Likes

Oh man, that fluorescent green rocks it!
I know how you feel girl, this ease to iterate an idea. At our age this is nothing short of miraculous. That’s only because our perspective includes “the time before…” :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Great idea! Innovation can hit any product even the coaster! Terrific stuff!

6 Likes

That is absolutely awesome! I’m loving the RV ideas on here. Thanks! I LOVE the flourescent one!

4 Likes

Nice practical cuts that have a lot of class! Maybe you could start a new line at your local RV dealer…

7 Likes

A really nice concept! :heart_eyes:
I have been fighting with the cup and bottle holders idea since my first finished design posted here, but never thought of velcro. Which is strange as I have a lot of it and use it everywhere.

6 Likes

That’s a super solution.

I initially thought the material on the bottom was that rubbery shelf liner used to protect cups and keep things from sliding around in the cabinet. Might be something that would be good around the house where you don’t want to glue a circle of velcro to the table.

5 Likes

fluorescent green and pink are awesome. Great idea to make a single coaster with gap for the handle!

6 Likes

Stylish looking and heavy duty. They look great, especially the colorful ones.

5 Likes

Pretty sweet! Love em!

3 Likes

Thanks! There are actually only 2 or 3 being used here in the house. I didn’t put velcro on those since as you stated, I didn’t want to stick velcro onto the tables/desks. That’s why I added the little rubber feet to the bottoms…hoping to help keep them from sliding around. So far, they’re working just fine. l don’t care so much about the table in the RV and obviously, much more movement going on in there.

8 Likes

Hey! I resemble that remark!

4 Likes

Those removable adhesives could be used to hold the Velcro in place.

3 Likes

Ingenious!

5 Likes

Wow–those are incredible!!

4 Likes

Brilliant idea, as someone who once destroyed my beloved laptop by pouring half a litre of traditional lemonade into it I wish I had had one of these at the time.

4 Likes

Those are great,

I have tried to get clear acrylic glued together and I always seem to have a huge mess and those look perfect, What Glue do you use,? We have a sailboat and It always seems that the drink holders are not where we want them, I know what i’m making when I get back home to the states and my glowforge!

Thanks for sharing that Idea,
Bill

4 Likes

Thank you. As you know, nothing is perfect, but sounds like the same need on a boat for something similar to these. The support posts in each corner are not glued, but press-fitted. Took me quite a while to get the kerf down for that. There was one that I used some epoxy resin on the support pieces, as I realized after the fact (cutting) that I had made a mistake in the file. The adapter piece is two pieces and I used WeldOn to bond them together. That’s a tough medium to use well and they aren’t pristine, but they aren’t coming apart. When you get something designed and made, please post so we can see them.

6 Likes

With a sailboat double gimbals might be more ideal unless it is a cat/trimaran.

2 Likes