Besides Laser Watching

So, tonight I have my first really big laser project for a client. I’m going to be cutting and engraving a couple hundred wooden keychains.

What do you do besides staring at your happy shiny machine the whole time? How do you entertain yourself?

Last time I had a project that took significant time (a lot less than tonight’s though) I spent the time reading on my phone, chatting at people on it (cause I don’t dare use my iPad for anything else than the GFUI when I’m running it), and occasionally taking baby photos and videos of my laser cause I love it so much.

Also, the room I’m working in is closed off from the rest of the house so it[a going to be freezing… plus open window for the vent hose, plus northern Michigan is freaking cold… so I’m going to bundled up like an Eskimo trying to figure out what to do with myself.

6 Likes

I drink beer. I’m from Michigan and if you are really from Michigan, it is never really freaking cold because we are tough, you only tell people that. :slight_smile: You must be from Michigan.

8 Likes

Lol, my scrawny ass was born in California so I’m cold as I can be and I don’t drink beer so I’m still bored after a bit. XD

2 Likes

So how far north do you live? I grew up in Ann Arbor / Ypsilanti. Moved to the West Coast years ago.

When I want real cold weather, I visit my brother in North Dakota. Last winter I was there it was Minus 38. It’s a dry cold, so feels a lot warmer! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m in a village up around the Traverse City area.

I love that area!!! Spent part of a summer at Interlochen National Music camp in high school then as a college student mapped the vegetation in the entire Grand Traverse water shed over a two year period. Also vacationed many times in the Empire and Sleeping Bear Dunes area.

You live in a wonderful place!

How did you end up there???

By the way the best way for ‘Scrawny Ass’ people (I was one when I was a lot younger) to stay warm is to relax all your muscles so you have good blood flow!

Once you start a job to the GF, the ui isn’t really a part of things. You can close it entirely if you like.

6 Likes

My computer is turned 90 degrees from the GF. Put on my headphones (to cut the fan noise), & watch Youtube or a movie.

5 Likes

I sit near it with my laptop and read the forums and stuff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

read the forums.
read a book.
surf the net.
weed the last job.
assemble the last job.
design the next job.
mask the next job.
clean the workspace (never ending task that i fail miserably at).

9 Likes

I second shop’s list. Especially when I’m making earrings or keychains. I just hangout and get into the flow state while gluing and clamping :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I do all of those, too. Especially the “failing miserably at cleaning” one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I walk laps around the house (the rooms form a loop around the stairs) and check in each lap or two, but if I had a lot of assembly I’d work on that.

3 Likes

I’m usually working with two 3D printers going at the same time as the Glowforge so popping back and forth with designs, slicing, and working on the next project keeps me busy. Otherwise I am reading the forum. Beer is usually involved, or tea in winter during the day. Is sometimes take the time to clean up the room, tidy up the scrap pile.

Haven’t done a project that had lots of little parts but that weeding thing takes a lot of time.

3 Likes

the other thing i should be doing sometimes is working the resistance bands on my shoulders. i used to do that a lot a little over a year ago when i was recovering from shoulder surgery and it did a lot to rebuild strength in the repaired one and get flexibility in both (the other one is in rough enough shape my options are, “(1) Suffer; (2) replacement.” i really felt a lot better in both shoulders by the end of rehab. but i’m backsliding some now.

sigh

getting old sucks.

4 Likes

I keep reminding myself it’s better than the alternative. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yeah, but can we do the physical part slower and the mental part a little faster?

1 Like

I often bring the laundry up to my husband’s office (where the GF is) and fold while I wait for it to cut.

2 Likes

I’m not sure anything about me is faster, any more!

2 Likes

Your forum responses are pretty quick!

3 Likes