"Best" choice of wood for GF

Ah! with the additional info… Look seriously at MDF, Super consistent and will take paint well.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Draftboard may be a good fit for your needs as well - all the benefits of Proofgrade except the surface appearance. Perfect for painting.

20 Likes

I believe MDF been discussed a couple of times and that MDF from one manufacturer might take to the laser quite differently then that from another.

That’s not to say ‘stay away from MDF’, merely that one can’t guarantee that all MDF will work great.
… he said, not ever having owned a laser cutter, nor used one.

When I get my GF, I’ll go to the closest place where I can buy MDF and give it a try. If it works - bingpot, if not - keep trying.

4 Likes

Seriously @dan, I love the concept, I love anything :proofgrade: just drop that name. Worst thing since 3d laser printer. Anyone over 50 is going to avoid the Draftboard!

11 Likes

All totally true, when you find an MDF that works well buy as much from that one batch as possible so you will have good numbers for as long as possible.
I hate wasting half of my stock of a material getting the settings down. This is why even as I gain experience I still love :proofgrade:

3 Likes

In general I’d agree, except it actually did an exceptionally nice job with red oak as well? It was messy inside the GF and produces a lot of smoke, but did a stunning job.

4 Likes

Is there a rough cost already set for Draftboard? I can see myself using it a lot!

I am going to be VERY interested in seeing the price point comparison of Draftboard to baltic birch ply. I was very excited to see that in the update, along with a few other things.

2 Likes

draftboard sounds a lot like hardboard.

1 Like

bingpot! :grin:

If MDF can be inconsistent from one batch to another, perhaps I should avoid it at first. After reading Dan’s post elsewhere about draftboard, it sounds like a very good solution for my needs. Since most of the seals and logos I manufacture will be painted, I don’t need to be concerned with how pretty the surface is. I have zero experience with laser engravers or CNC routers, so I’d prefer to rely on the GF’s preprogrammed settings to compensate for my rookie ignorance. I’m sure that eventually I’ll want to experiment with the settings, but I’m thinking that presets will get me up and running fastest. Before you become an expert marksman, it helps to figure out which end of the gun to point at the target. That’s about where I am on the learning curve at the moment.

4 Likes

Gonna go out on a limb here since I have absolutely no inside knowledge… PG plywood is just two veneers with an MDF/hardboard type a material in the middle for consistency. The draftboard might just be standard PG plywood with the outside veneers removed. Maybe added thickness to the inner ply to be the same overall size. Would cut the same and prototype the same as the Proofgrade Ply.

That left a bad taste in my mouth to say. Next thing you know I’ll be speculating on when the Pro 2.0 will ship. Don’t want to be that type of person. :smirk:

8 Likes

is this a known thing? i’m not saying you’re wrong, but every bit of mdf i’ve used has been pretty similar.

not a bad guess. also, the power of a brand like proofgrade is that they don’t (and almost certainly aren’t) getting every product from the same supplier, so they may not necessarily save money by doing a move like that instead of just finding someone else, or using a different product line from their supplier.

1 Like

Laser grade MDF should be OK as the glue is chosen to be laser-able. From other sources it may not be and might vary according to supply chain changes because it isn’t a consideration for normal use.

5 Likes

Yes MDF can be quite different. I bought some MDF from the local Lowes and it cut like butter and was great material for prototyping. Went back the next week, bought some more and had a very hard time cutting it. Settings were completely different. If I looked very closely at the two pieces of material there were slight differences in the size of the particles/strands that held it together. Hard to see. Probably glue changes also. Every week it’s a crap shoot on which of the two the big box store will sell. The Home Depot also alternates between the two. I’ve become accustomed to waiting until the good stuff is in stock before buying.

3 Likes

interesting, i’m guessing the glue is probably the key differentiator; i bet they have a number of suppliers that get rotated as needs arise.

1 Like

It’s taking off!

Do you have any pictures of the good versus bad MDF (scraps from your cuts) that shows how to identify the material (close ups would help)?

2 Likes

I didn’t care much for the standard MDF at the big box stores so chose a 2’ X 4’ sheet of something Lowes and Home Depot calls “Chalkboard”.

It’s just MDF with a black surface on one side. They also have something called Whiteboard that has one white surface. A little over $2 by the time you cut it up into GF sizes sheets. The cool part is that the single black or white surface is such that you can mostly just wipe off the smoke damage. The MDF side takes paint well. I used it for my balance toys.

(The toy stands were Proofgrade, everything else is the Chalkboard.)

Here is a very close up shot (~1" square) of the bad (left) and the good (right) Chalkboard material. It’s easy to miss the strands unless you focus closely without magnification.

25 Likes

That is some bad MDF. I’ve never seen particle sizes that big in any pieces I’ve ever purchased.

1 Like