Best laid plans; Ode to a Martini

I was working on making a little layered Christmas tree. In the process, when I turned it upside down, it was a martini……and it wasn’t a tree at all. Taa daaa! Ode to a Martini….17 layers of 7 different Proofgrade acrylics, totally non-functional but a lot of fun to conceptualize and a challenge to my design skills. Since I’m not an engineer, it took lots of tweaking and re-doing…and thank God for cardboard.
I would guess this is about 3/4 size of a real martini…3.5” W x 5.5” high…photo next to a coffee mug for scale.

Top four layers with spacers in between each one. Remaining layers without spacers and using frosted acrylic to give the illusion of a liquid inside.

The mere ‘suggestion’ of a green olive inside…pimento red and fluorescent green. I took and re-took some of the photos because it looked like the top layer was crooked….but, I think I need to chalk it up to distortion. I double checked it each time and they all came out the same.

I will thank my iPhone portrait stage light setting for the ultra dramatic ones…the colors that picked up were too good to pass up showing off.

Two cocktail picks completed the ‘look’ and what more to celebrate its completion than to have a real martini. A Merry Martini to one and all!

48 Likes

This is certainly an occasion that demands a celebratory Martini! I thought it was a real one as I could see it in my peripheral vision while reading your comment above, chin chin!

7 Likes

Great discovery! You might as well just move on to making a margarita glass with a cactus handle. It is fun when things just get discovered unexpectedly! Great martini glass! I am going to call it an ARTini glass!

8 Likes

Sometimes the muse is not in the mood for another Christmas tree. I love this martini!

8 Likes

I think it looks spectacular! Usually when things are “topsy turvy” the results are disastrous, but this turned out super cool!

5 Likes

This is just fabulous:-) I love it!

4 Likes

Fun project!

3 Likes

Such a creative design!

3 Likes

I love it!!!

6 Likes

Super cute!

3 Likes

I’ll drink to that! (Raises my glass of ginger ale.)

Really great design. Isn’t it cool how the unexpected takes on a life of its own? I love the olive.

6 Likes