Best Nana Award! So I’m Told

My granddaughter turned five and I always make her cakes. This year she was adamant she wanted a rainbow butterfly cake with flying butterflies (the mind of a then four year old).

That was a challenge indeed. My Glowforge helped me bring her vision to life. I created the centerpiece in acrylic and used clear armatures to make the rainbow butterflies (made from gum paste) appear to float.

She loved it! Of course this means next year might be even crazier … ugh.

Couldn’t have done it without my Glowforge! :two_hearts:

48 Likes

Wow, that is beautiful!

I love the photo with the butterflies and the finished cake!!

Wow, I cannot see the “armatures” at all. (Did you photoshop them out??)

(I guess the one in front is “flying” also based on the shadow!)

7 Likes

This is really pretty. Grandchildren make us strive to do our best so we don’t let them down :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

No photoshop. Just must have had the perfect lighting not to see the clear acrylic.

This photo will show it better.

17 Likes

That’s so nice. And it looks great. Where did you get the butterflies?

2 Likes

I made them out of gum paste. Actually, I designed a stencil/cookie cutter on the Glowforge and then hand “painted the butterflies with luster dust and outlined them with black food coloring.

7 Likes

That makes it doubly impressive. great work!

3 Likes

Ah, now that I know what to look for I can see them. Really good job! That is amazing! Definitely “Best Nana Award” is well deserved!

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful!

3 Likes

You knocked it out of the park with this cake! Next year will probably require advanced electronics and animation, but I am sure you will be up to the task.

6 Likes

That is one beautiful, fun cake! Will you make me one for my birthday in a few months? :yum:

3 Likes

That right there is an epic Cake. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You did awesome! I hope she loved it. Someday she will tell her children and grandchildren about the amazing cakes you made for her.

3 Likes

I love the worlds that open up to us because of :glowforge: Everything about this is wonderful!

4 Likes

Wow! Fantastic! Granny of the Year for sure! I love a good cake request. Always a great challenge and fun to do!

2 Likes

Yep, this one is going to be hard to top. Wonderful job on those gum paste butterflies, and on the whole design!

3 Likes

You get the “Super Grandma” award for that one! Fabulous cake decorating, can’t wait to see how you top it next year :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If they had a “Baking with your Glowforge” reality show I would watch you win the grand prize! Such a beautiful cake! The bar has been set high that’s for sure.

1 Like

Really like your font choice for the name and 5. Beautiful job! Love the butterflies!

2 Likes