Beta day - five (Fitted Gauge Box)

I can’t really see under, it’s all built in. But with a newly downloaded spirit level on my phone it seems as though you are right. A 1 degree tilt. (The far back corner) Well spotted! Still does not make it better though…

1 Like

Awesome! I keep seeing all these simple laser cut boxes and thinking, “Okay, great… I could make an empty box.” Never thought about how to add that second layer cutout so everything sits in it’s own place—at least, not that easily… Suddenly, I’m thinking of all kinds of things I want to put in “an empty box.” Keep sharing—you’re giving us great ideas!

6 Likes

I love how this came together, its fantastic. Also I collected a new word! Swarf! :smiley: I wonder what the laser version could be, because I come home covered in it every day. :wink:

4 Likes

The same I believe…
“Fine chips or filings of stone, metal or other material produced by a machining operation.”

I think that encompass ablated material, but I may be mistaken.

1 Like

@Shell - glad to hear you’re hammering on a 'forge
(I presume) that much!

We need to keep some old threads alive and keep adding to them. Fascinating that @fablab_elpaso already informed us about dog bones.

3 Likes

I used to regularly drag little bits of metal into the house on the bottom of my boots. We long ago established a “no shoes” policy to combat this.
Yesterday my wife found several little pieces of acrylic on the kitchen floor and handed them to me with the comment of “is this your new detritus?”.

At least they are not quite as sharp when you are wearing socks.

18 Likes

Sawdust, metal shavings, acrylic, 3d printer scrap, all the glitter of the maker.

11 Likes

Terence, thank you so much for that explanation! I’ve been working with my 3D printer for the past year, and I’ve never heard of dogbones before. This will definitely help me with some of my oozing issues :slight_smile:

Those indicator boxes look great. I have the same storage issue for my metrology tools and machine tool accessories and fixes like that are a major reason for my GF purchase. I’m looking forward to more of the same from you!

1 Like

Great job on the box. I’ve made a few and there have been a few trial and error days. Learning is all part of a new toy. Thanks for sharing.

That is so hot!!!

Btw, fun fact: T-Rex had small serrations running along its teeth, with small circles at the end of each one. The circles add strength.

7 Likes

Yes, natural selection brought about serrated teeth, and they haven’t changed in sharks in 300 million years.
3.5 billion years of trial and error have resulted in remarkable structures that are apex in design.
A great read is “Your Inner Fish” - a journey into the 3.5 billion year history of the Human body" by Niel Shubin.
I never saw another creature the same way after reading it.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks, will check it out!

I love stuff like this! Its like the tubercles on the leading side of whale fins! Theyve found that these increase fluid/aerodynamics while reducing noise and vibration by significant amounts. Supposedly we’re going to start seeing this pop up on hydrofoils and aerofoils in the near future.

Even computer fans apparently!

WhalePower Corporation has been developing very small fans (about 86 millimeters) for use in small, hot, powerful computer circuits. Our first innovative designs greatly reduce computer energy consumption and are about 20% more efficient than any comparable fan currently on the market.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly!
You may have noticed the scalloped fringes on the rear of jet engine cowling, same thing.
The fan blades are new to me.

2 Likes

Ill have to look those up! I have a friend that works at GE designing jet turbines, Im gonna ask him about this stuff!

Heres some info from their site on turbine testing they did:

Detailed results are confidential at this time but the performance was outstanding and the overall conclusions are straightforward: Tubercles work. In fact, they work better than even WhalePower insiders could have hoped.

• They dramatically enhance power at low wind speeds
  • The blades operate more quietly than any previous blades
  • With no stalling at the tip, tip chatter appears to be totally eliminated
  • Performance in real world conditions appears to be more stable and responsive than any turbine in history. When a gust blows through, they accelerate, virtually instantaneously with no noise or other signs of instability.

1 Like

I just googled this, and PBS made it into a documentary series. Definitely going to watch this week:

http://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/home/

2 Likes

Wow. I thought the discussion of Gluten free foods was Off-Topic in the Delivery schedule thread.

2 Likes

Sorry, I will delete.