Beta project 15 (Lapstrake Clamp)

One of my very large R&D ideas with the pro model is to attempt using it to cut out parts for a kayak. I think the GF precision will be very useful for small boat building. There are even plans on the interwebs for such a thing.

4 Likes

Interesting, Keep up the great ideas.

2 Likes

Industrial strength chop-sticks, brilliant!

5 Likes

I like this a lot. I am now thinking of all the interesting-shaped clamping cauls (those are the things that fit between a clamp’s small flat surface and the perhaps-larger, perhaps-curved or otherwise non-flat surface of the piece being glued) I will be able to laser.

2 Likes

I love these cam-style tighteners. I was even playing with using a hidden one in my puzzlebox project to hold a part firmly to prevent any play while it was in the locked position, so this was very well timed!

3 Likes

Have you seen this topic?

1 Like

I think we all need to have a josh hidden away in our basment

8 Likes

I prefer the garage if you don’t mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That may well depend on what part of the country. :slight_smile: Our garages down south can get pretty warm - but we don’t have basements. I have a loft though!?

2 Likes

I think I decided on r=2+sin(x*t) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Your choice, but the basement has all of the good tools, air conditioning, internet, and cable. The garage mostly has camel crickets.

2 Likes

You referring to the underground pool?

And mosquitos the size of B-52 bombers, at about a 98° ambient temp.
(I’d have to tuck him away in a guest room, or he wouldn’t keep.)
:grin:

3 Likes

Florida?

1 Like

Texas…glub, glub, glub. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m in San Antonio this week. First dry one in a long while. The snakes are finally going back underground.

3 Likes

We had a special pit viper moment in the cat room last week…they’ve got their own air conditioned kitty room off the garage (with screened outdoor play area so they can trade insults with strange kitties that wander onto their turf, without damaging the poor things)…large copperhead, hiding under the litterboxes.

They alerted us to the snake, which is a damned good thing, since I’m the one who usually winds up cleaning the boxes every morning, and I’d have been hit.

Ever seen a cat go on point? They’re very good at alerting us to a snake in the vicinity. :relaxed:

I’m less concerned with the snakes though, than the freaking mosquitoes this year…Rogue has developed a hypersensitivity to their saliva, and his poor nose and ears are just a mess. (He gets hauled to the vet tomorrow for a steroid shot.)

If anyone knows ANYTHING that you can safely put onto a cat that will repel mosquitoes…please, please share…I’m at my wit’s end and he can’t stay inside all year, he’s named Rogue for a reason. :sweat:

1 Like

I’ve heard of citronella collars, and dropping neem oil on collars, but no direct experience.
I also saw this instructable for an electronic repeller, but no idea how effective it actually is, or what the range is.

1 Like

I read too much, usually while half distracted but I seem to recall the most recent Consumer Reports, having reviews of several “natural” and other pest repellents. One I think was essentially rosemary oil. If you’re near a news stand you might want to flip through and see. My copy is already recycled.

Can ask the vet about something like Top Spot that goes in a place the cat can’t get to.

Failing all that maybe you can get @jkopel to Joshforge II you worlds biggest kitty jungle gym to make Rogue’s being stuck inside more interesting.

3 Likes

My parent’s vet recommended basically a topical Frontline-like tick and flea medicine that also repelled biting flies. During part of the year we get black flies - they look like house flies, they’re fast like house flies, plus they bite. I don’t know the name or if it works on mosquitoes, but it does work against one type of flying insect. I do know it was even more expensive than Frontline.

My poor kitty has chiggers on his belly that are terrible. He has the Seresto collar but I don’t think it worked for chiggers. And he got bit by a garter snake last month and almost died.

And back to the topic at hand: the clamps will come in handy!