Beta Project: Completed Halloween Wreath

The only issue for hot glue is that it can be difficult to get the glue joint really thin. It holds, but it can act as a spacer between objects.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that is the only issue. If you’re not really thinking and then try and spread it with a finger ,would be another issue. I’ve never done that myself of course.

9 Likes

Are the dowels going through those little squares?

2 Likes

Hi erin. Yes, the dowels go through the little squares. I only did dowels on the lower two layers for this project, but in the future I’m going to try to use dowels whenever possible because it made such a simple and strong connection.

5 Likes

The only problem I see with it is having to have security cameras, or guards, watching over it if it is on the front door. Some hooligan will grab it as a gift to their mom ;D

7 Likes

And, the question is, are you buying square dowel stock, or cutting your own from thin material?

2 Likes

I think, by their very nature, that hooligan’s aren’t particularly thoughtful in that manner… but I could be wrong :wink:

3 Likes

I used a dowel I bought at the craft store. I guess you could cut your own with the GF, but I went the easy route.

4 Likes

This is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing, particularly all the photos of it partially-assembled so we can see how it all goes together. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Unbelievable!! Amazing. And @dan, you guys definitely chose wisely when you selected beta users!

6 Likes

That is really neat. Well thought out and assembled. Nice mix of function and art.

5 Likes

NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN’ ABOUT!! Like @printolaser, this is exactly why I’m so entranced with the Glowforge. I wanna make THIS!! (or stuff like it)

I’m adding this to the “Transcends the Medium” thread.

6 Likes

Well done! Thanks for the detailed description and Pics. Makes it easier to understand the process and problem solving. Very creative! Love the use of prisma color directly to the wood! Looks great :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing

6 Likes

Yeah… good to know that those prismacolor markers in my drawer might get some use finally!!! (assuming they aren’t dried out of course ;-))

7 Likes

Awesome Project! :grinning: Really love the 3D build, and love that you drew it. I can’t wait to see some of the other stuff you make! I wouldn’t have thought to use markers. I will have to dust off my marker set as well.

1 Like

Coloring wood with markers works great… but marker inks are not gonna be particularly uv-stable, so if it’s in the sun, be prepared for some color fade. Different colors will fade faster than others. Red is especially unstable.
Of course you can always re-color.

4 Likes

Krypton, and I’m sure others, make sprayable UV resistant clear coats. That should help with the fading?

1 Like

Oh, wait, you meant krylon… :yum: yeah a uv-protective clear coat, either sprayed, brushed, or rolled on will help the color last longer. It will still fade if it sits in the sun for long enough. I think a seasonal ornament like this would last a while, though, because it won’t be out for months on end through the summer sun.

edit- if @maryellen feels like taking another photo in a few months, I’m sure I would not be the only one interested in seeing the unsealed results of weathering.

18 Likes

Actually, I’m planning to hang it on my enclosed porch, so I don’t anticipate it will see a lot of weathering. If I thought it would get much water on it I would definitely want to seal it, (and I don’t know that the prismacolor marker would be the best choice for staining in that case. :slight_smile:)

7 Likes

Bwahahahahaha

4 Likes