Beta Project: Decorative Earring Rack & Jewelry Stand

I finally finished off this project after a few weeks, and I’m really happy to be able to share it here. :grinning:

I designed a few variations in Illustrator for a custom decorative earring & jewelry organizer/holder/rack/stand, and this is the one I went with based on consultations with my wife. It’s awesome to have an idea in mind, discuss it with her to get some specifics and functional understanding of what she would like, work on a killer design and revise it a few times based on her feedback and suggestions, and then just run with it and see how it turns out! I’m fairly pleased with the end result as a 1st attempt, and used the entire project as a learning process in regards to the envisioning in 3D and designing in 2D, as well as the finishing process doing woodworking.

Unfortunately I did break it at one point, but luckily I was able to glue the piece back on with minimal actual damage to salvage the project and finish it off. :wink:

Cut from 1/8" and 1/4" plywood.
Glued and clamped 4 layers to create the base.
Rack piece fits perfectly in slot and is held well with no adhesive.
Sanded to 220.
Three applications of Dark Walnut Danish Oil.
Sanded again to 400 between each of 4 applications of Arm-R-Seal topcoat to finish it off.

Took some time to dry between each coat letting the pieces hang and dry in the garage, as we’ve had a freezing cold spell and some snow and plenty of rain here over the past 2-3 weeks or so. It took me longer to finish than I anticipated. But, here it is! :slight_smile:

Cutting on the GF!

Just finished rack piece on the GF bed

Detail view of rack with masking still on

All 5 pieces cut and laid out…

1st assembly testing!

Clamped for gluing. I used the rack piece in the slot to help to ‘line up’ the 4 base pieces when gluing, being careful when I applied the glue to each layer that I didnt put much near the slot edge so as to minimize seepage that would adhere to the rack piece.

Drying in garage after sanding and Danish Oil. You can clearly see the area on the rack (lower left side piece) where I applied the glue to affix the whole piece that broke off completely during sanding (gotta be careful with intricate and fragile pieces!), as it repelled the oil and didn’t take any color.

The glue to fix that broken piece really worked to save the project for me, and 4 layers of top coat finishing I think gave it some additional strength, though it is still a somewhat fragile piece as a whole.

And some final shots after finishing and reassembly. :grin:

Empty.

Final completed project with earrings and some jewelry to show it’s true purpose!

My wife simply loves the final result, and she says it is beautiful. I’m so glad she likes it! :heart:

Thanks for reading this far and checking this project out! :grin: :glowforge:

• R
130 Likes

Simply amazing! The laser made earrings on the laser made stand are the best. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Great work! Really lovely design.

10 Likes

Hey Ryan!

Amazing design and great way of documenting the creation process and final result!
Keep up the great work in inspiring us!

Greetings from The Netherlands,
Elwin & Nynke

11 Likes

Wow, what a sweet design & great writeup. Thanks, Ryan! :heavy_plus_sign: 1

6 Likes

I LOVE that! Would be a perfect gift for my sister, whose earring collection rivals the jewelry counter at Neiman’s. :gift_heart:

10 Likes

Stunning. Truly a unique labor of love for your love.:revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

That’s really nice! Great work.

3 Likes

Very cool looking and clever. Lovely work!

4 Likes

That really is beautiful !! Have you considered making an acrylic one with led-lit base? Nice work !!!

8 Likes

I’m stunned. I’ve been thinking about creating one for myself, not unlike this… but you did it so much better! Congrats!

3 Likes

Love this. And I love the amount of photos. Makes my heart happy

7 Likes

Very beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Wow! Really cool.

Also, does anyone know of good references for the strength/brittleness/etc of laserable materials? I know some thin plywood is strong only in one dimension, and regular wood is the usual about grain, and that acrylic is supposed to be brittle from microcracking, but past that Idunno. And it might be nice to find out before using up a lot of material.

5 Likes

very cool project, thanks for sharing and the great writeup.
wonder what it would be like if you did one out of acrylic with led lighting.

4 Likes

so pretty!

4 Likes

Absolutely amazing design and work!!

1 Like

whoa. That is stunning! Really amazing job.

2 Likes

Beautiful piece of work! Well done. :+1:

2 Likes

Wow that looks fabulous!

Fantastic photos and documenting your process!!

Thanks so much for all your work!!!

2 Likes