I have been working on a “System” for leather jewelry.
It started when I was looking at some link v-belting (like this stuff http://www.rockler.com/1-2-power-twist-plus-link-v-belt) and thinking about making something similar with leather.
These are basically just a bunch of experiments that did not work, but which show off the power of rapid prototyping! Total time from first drawing to my initial success was about 3 hours over two evenings. Fail early, fail often…
Attempt 1: Fail. Too big overall, and the tabs it just fell apart if twisted.
Attempt 2: Fail. Tabs slipped out of slots. Size was better though.
Attempt 3: Fail. Way too small, and what I hoped would be fringes just burned up.
Attempt 4: Fail. I tried the thicker 5 Oz. leather and I could not get the tabs into the holes even when I got it wet and stretched them. Fringes were just stupid looking.
There were a few more failures along the way until I got something that starts to work.
I made the holes round and much smaller, and the tabs are now kind of like arrow heads.
They can be put together or taken apart, but they don’t come out without some effort.
Here is my reluctant hand model who just wanted to get back to watching Black Mirror.
Now I need to look into leather dyes!