Beta Project: Multi-Tiered Hanging Planter Concept

Hello!
Got another planter project finished, and now that they’re planted, I have pictures to share. :smile:

So this continues my concept(s) of planter containers that are sealed, finger jointed, with clear acrylic fronts. Like the ‘Wall Hanging Succulent Planters’ I created here.

Actually, this was the first project in this series that I had designs for. :wink: It took me a bit longer to complete because I used some older ‘unfinished’ :proofgrade: cherry hardwood, that I had to finish over time. Details below…

Ok, so here’s my first try… Testing the design, joints, kerf, etc.
As a thin piece, the long horizontal part of the front was weak and snapped in multiple places when I was press fitting it together, as you can see below… maybe a bit too tight on the finger joints for the amount of pressure needed for me to snap them in.

But, other than that, the design was solid, joints were tight, and I liked the dimensions all in all.

The pieces are sized and nested/arranged to be cut from one piece of 6"x12" hardwood, in order to be efficient with material, (be created from one sheet of :proofgrade: hardwood. :bulb:
Also the 2 sides are cut so the wood grain is the same on each side for continuity in appearance. It’s tight, but it fits… barely. :relaxed:

So, I polished off the design (created in Illustrator as vector cut pattern with an embedded engraved image saved as an .svg) with rounded corners, added curves to the design, and a pattern texture to be engraved. I think it turned out great!

This is pre-finished still with no sealant applied to the inside.

So, I made 3, and finished them with Danish oil. I did 3 coats and it took a long time to dry, hence the delay in finishing off the project. Probably shouldn’t have put Danish oil on the inside of the container, as it was quite oily still after 1.5 weeks or so, and I even wiped it down as best I could before applying the sealant to coat it. I was worried that it wouldn’t adhere very well, but in the end it seemed to work out ok. The finish really darkened the wood, and made the cherry really pop!
Sorry, bad pun… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cut 3 pieces of clear acrylic for the front panels, added a bit of wood glue in a few spots at the joints where there was slight warpage, then painted on the rubber/silicone sealant, slid in the perfect fit acrylic, and let them dry overnight

Went out and bought some black jewelry chain, black jump rings, some screw in hooks, and used 2 raw brass jump rings at the top. Put it all together (carefully), and here it is.

I then tested it all hanging in the kitchen where I wanted to hang it.

And finally, here are a bunch of shots of them planted and finished! :grin:

Some shots during the day, but hard to avoid the reflections on the front pane…

I just love that this one is in bloom while planting it. It’s really beautiful.

And here’s some more pics at night (minimal reflections from outside).

Well, as always…
Thanks for reading this far and checking this project out!
:glowforge: :proofgrade: :boom:

• R
99 Likes

Nice work! Those look great :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks good. I’ll be throwing some herbs in one of those for sure

5 Likes

Wow! The multimaterial design really makes it pop.

7 Likes

Those are gorgeous! (And they would look great in my kitchen…hope you plan to catalog them.) Love the patterning with that finish, it really does pop! :grinning:

(Don’t forget we’re linking our own projects in the highlights now…that needs to be in there.)

9 Likes

Ohhhhhh, they’re beautiful! You’re right, the finish you applied really makes that cherry extra gorgeous. One of the things I like the most about this project is the efficient design, using the PG hardwood without wastage. Well done!

5 Likes

Beautiful!! Love your designs

4 Likes

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring!! I love the hanging idea. It looks so much more dynamic than three separate planters fixed to the wall, and the radial design on the sides is awesome too. I’ll never be buying a planter again haha

7 Likes

I think ‘superb’ will have to do ! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow! This is truly amazing! Great job and great write-up.

2 Likes

yes, I agree - I hope to see that design in the catalog. The cherry looks great! Nice write-up.

3 Likes

Those are beautiful…love the color choices and how they hang so perfectly.

2 Likes

These are absolutely gorgeous! Awesome job.

2 Likes

What an excellent idea – and execution!

2 Likes

Ah, ok… I didn’t know that.
Where is the thread to post a link to? Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ll send you a PM with the link.

2 Likes

So awesome

8 Likes

Jules…will you please PM me the link as well? Apparently I was ‘out to lunch’ when that was made known. Thanks

1 Like

Sure no problem. :smile:

1 Like

That looks very nice!

But how does the laser help keep the plants alive? I can’t grow anything!

5 Likes