Beta Project - Nintendo Switch Carrying Case

If you’ve been paying attention the past few days, you know that I was able to snag a Nintendo Switch last week! I will be carrying this around in portable mode as I commute 45 minutes on the Link twice a day. (Hah! I just realized the “Link” pun given the only game I have is Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild!) I want to have a safe way to carry it around, and while cases exist for purchase… well, I have a laser!

My first thought was just to make a leather pouch, but I decided I wanted to protect the Switch from impacts and such, so I designed a frame which I cut out of 1/8" proofgrade plywood. The bottom and sides of the frame are the same ply, but I included living hinges to make the corners rounded, and maybe a bit springy if I drop it or something.

All cuts were designed in AutoCAD, exported to .DXF and imported to Inkscape where I added the engravings and saved as .SVG (Pro tip: When importing .DXF files into Inkscape, the software assumes the design was done in mm. If your AutoCAD design was in inches, scale it by 25.4 prior to exporting as .DXF)

I decided not to worry about press-fit, and went to town with the wood glue.

And then I died it black.

I also lined the inner portion of the frame (the pieces that actually touch the Switch) with craft foam to protect the Switch screen and finish from scratching.

Leather is 2-3oz Proofgrade. It comes beige, so after I cut and engraved the pieces I died them black, then treated with Carnuba Creme.

The frame fits inside, and the Switch fits inside of that!

I embellished the case with the title of the awesome The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild.

It wouldn’t be complete without the Nintendo Switch logo!

And I added some runes from Breath of the Wild as well… if the photo I found online is accurate, then the runes spell my name!

This bottom piece would have been too long to cut in one piece in the cutting area of the Forge, so I did it in two pieces and stitched it together. (The frame has this approach as well - it glued nicely and is quite solid!)

And finally, on the tab that holds the lid I added the “Z” from the Zelda title.

Also, to stitch the tab to the lid, as well as on the strap that the tab slips under, the stitching holes form a Triforce… Note, there is no evidence that this version of the game uses the Triforce, but come on… it’s Zelda! No nod to the game would be complete without including the Triforce!

I have exactly two issues with how it came out. First, the lid isn’t long enough. I thought I had 3x the depth of the case and I only had 2x. The tab doesn’t really hold the lid shut either. I might add some velcro or something to keep it shut.

Other than those items, this came together just about exactly as I expected it to, which makes me incredibly happy!

Now, I was up until 3am last night sewing this thing, and I have to pack and get up early to go to Florida tomorrow morning, so I better finish up here.

Enjoy.

P.S. Verify your hole alignments before you stitch more than 1/2 of a section. I had to spend 10 minutes un-stitching and an hour or so re-stitching that segment.

108 Likes

Very nicely done! I love the look of the dyed leather and the stitching looks awesome :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I kid you not: I stared at the first picture thinking, “Yes, that’s a very nice case he’s trying to copy, but how’s he going to do it?”

48 Likes

Damn, amazing job.

6 Likes

He brought all these tiny popsicle stick looking things up and I thought what in the world but they all fit right together on the first try! All the black on black made pictures tricky, I wish there was a way for you guys to see this one in person - it came out really great! Gold Star Chad Lee :slight_smile:

9 Likes

so great!

6 Likes

Well that’s just phenomenal! (And you’d better hang on to it tightly, because that’s gonna get lifted!):relaxed:

9 Likes

wow! That is really professional and well thought out! Looks great! I would guess that the leather bottom could have been rolled up when doing a cut, as opposed to having to sew two pieces together? You should totally sell these!

4 Likes

Wow. Just. Wow. This is amazing!!

7 Likes

Oh wow! That’s an heirloom you’ve got there. 200 years from now they are not going to know what it was for, they’ll just know it’s precious.

8 Likes

Holy Cow (hide). That is beautiful. Great form factor in adding the spines for shaping it and not just slab of ply inside. Fantastic stitching. The engraving, both your design placement and the :glowforge: execution is perfect.

9 Likes

I have this idea now for my son’s partner as a gift.

Hope to see this in the catalog. :glowforge::squeeee:

6 Likes

A M A Z I N G!

7 Likes

This is the coolest Switch case! The frame was such a good idea.

4 Likes

I know it is not a competition but I’ve got to pick up my game! Very nice.

5 Likes

Velcro on the case would work, but mar the clean look when open. Any leather workers out there know what glue might hold magnet rounds to leather? Then you could glue one to the inside of the leather case and one on the underside of the tab. Don’t know if they would have the strength you are looking for, but would keep the strap from sliding about.

5 Likes

…unassembled!

8 Likes

You could also make small pockets in both the face and the strap and put a small neodymium magnet in each of them. That would probably be pretty secure.

Or would there be a potential danger in having a strong magnet pretty much right against the unit? Volunteers? :wink:

4 Likes

My jaw dropped and my mouth hung open. Fantastic job!

6 Likes

This might be my favorite made-on-Glowforge project yet!

8 Likes