Beta Project: Toy Viking Sword

Hello folks,

I got drug away from the GF for a bit by work, but I’ve got a couple of new projects I’m working on. This one is for my five year old son. He put in a request for a sword, and here it is, a viking era toy sword.

First, the CAD linework. The sword is built up of five layers of wood. The center layer (the blade) is 1/4" plywood while the hilt is built up layers of 1/8" hardwood. I planned to fasten the layers together with square pegs and glue.

Here are the pieces precisely cut by the GF.

And the assembled sword before finishing.

And a little metallic acrylic paint to finish it off.

My son apparently likes it enough to bring it to breakfast. Maybe there ought to be a rule against weapons at the dining table.

My son and I are working on a papier mache viking helmet (no, real viking helmets didn’t feature horns). I’ll update this post with a little photoshoot when that’s done.

Thanks!

87 Likes

That turned out really, really great!

5 Likes

Cool! Looks great, and I’m sure he loves it!

4 Likes

I never thought of square pegs for alignment. Easy to make and any scrap can do. Love the technique and sword!

4 Likes

Your sword is way more elaborate than the one my son & I made! But I got him to learn to stitch leather by making him a leather scabbard and belt that he had to sew himself. :wink:

36 Likes

Cool design! (I’m lovin’ the square pegs too!) :relaxed:

6 Likes

No self respecting Viking would allow such a rule!

18 Likes

Great idea. I’ll cut a scabbard and belt and have my son lace it up. Is that Sting by chance?

4 Likes

That looks good Ryan. I like the 1/4" plywood for the sword. It gives it a nice heft. He could really bean someone with that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gorgeous!!! @RyanL Would you like to share the vector file? I have made a half dozen swords for my two grandsons and they go thru them way too fast! Maybe a more beautiful one like you made would be treated better and last longer!!!

3 Likes

You guys have no idea how excited this kind of stuff makes me to become a Dad! :smile:

7 Likes

Sorry man- not likely.
My dad thinks that my 4- and 6-year old boys will treat his artist crafted toys like heirlooms- but they get the same treatment as hot wheels.
Toys are meant for playing. Cool looking toys may get more playing- which translates to broke quicker.
Well worth the effort to feed imagination. But toys are toys.

10 Likes

Indeed!

5 Likes

He could. You might want to start working on shields and armor for your kids.

4 Likes

Are you sure about the horns?

https://youtu.be/h9KO0Mntep4?t=7s

6 Likes

This:
http://www.joelrane.com/kittens.html

3 Likes

Ha!

1 Like

You and your Dad must be much more experienced at raising kids than I am!! I can still have hope!!!

1 Like

Around here we just use pipe insulation and cardboard disks for swords. That’s a big step up. Might be worth designing a deliberate weak point in the joint between the hilt and the blade, so that it will break predictably and perhaps reparably…

6 Likes

This makes me wish I needed a sword!

7 Likes