Betas, Maker Faire, Production

There is an easy explanation:

Everyone should have an oscilloscope

10 Likes

Ha! we have one of those old cathode ray O-scopes in our “museum” here at the university. serial number 123. one of the founders of tektronix went to school here and gave us lots of stuff.

4 Likes

Ha ha! More than less of us can relate to that easily! :laughing:

5 Likes

How old is that scope? In my youth I played with one where the analog was, er, more analog than usual. Every time I thought I was measuring a really interesting waveform, no, it was the scope. (Of course, that can be fun too, in a different way.)

I had one very similar to that collecting dust in the basement for years. I finally sold it at a yard sale a few years ago on the assumption that, if I really needed regular access to an o’scope, I could pick up a new one that would take up 1/10th of the space and be more accurate.

3 Likes

Or build one from a soundcard.

3 Likes

Sound card O’scopes are great fun but seriously lack freq response. For a few dollars more you can build a USB one with good freq response.

1 Like

Or this: http://makezine.com/2016/09/21/espoteks-labrador-packs-5-lab-instruments-onto-single-board/

2 Likes

still waiting for this to come out!

4 Likes

That O-scope is looking like it’s been around since before we walked on the Moon. How old is it?
It looks like it is in pretty good shape though.

3 Likes

Link

Here is the picture the Restore posted. It’s a Tektronix 551 Dual Beam, introduced in 1958.

Edit: I changed it to an actual link, it kept making it a picture.

4 Likes

I picked one of these USB units a couple years back for my limited skills and needs.

http://www.syscompdesign.com/CGR-101_ep_41-1.html

2 Likes

That’s just amazing! It looks like it is still working.
It’s nice to see that old technology can last a lifetime and still be somewhat useful. Someday, I’ll probably buy an o-scope to refresh my latent electronics skills and build some things that have already been invented.

@dan what is the probability range for a December delivery?
what are the biggest 3 legitimate threats to the December delivery?

There’s always a host of gremlins waiting in the wings, and I’m not going to speculate if any will rear their heads.

6 Likes

Plus if you say their name three times…

9 Likes

Hmm…Hollywood needs ideas, how about a remake of Beetlejuice starring Johnny Depp. Beetlejuice is square in his round hole of method acting.

3 Likes

I do believe that they are making a new Beetlejuice movie… so, careful what you wish for.

3 Likes

As long as Beetlejuice is still Michael Keaton (which he apparently will be), I’m ok with that.

3 Likes

Avoid the nasty Gremlins by not allowing food in the office after midnight.

4 Likes